Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Red dot for turkeys?

Old 04-02-2005, 06:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default Red dot for turkeys?

Who shoots one on their shotty for turks... what's been your experience with them - one better than another - good or bad? Is it a must to be shotgun / high caliber rated versions or didn't it matter?

Edited Bi mE bekuz suMtimZ I jus' KaNt spElL lefT, er I meEn RIGHT!
Old 04-02-2005, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Red dot for turkeys?

I have used Millit 30mm red dots on everything for years.
Deer and turkeys were the first real uses.
Yes there are ones out there I would stay away from BSA red dots for one.
IMO if it cost less than $ 50 don't bother .
I use the Millit on Pistols from 22 - 45/70 ( if it will stand up to the 45/70 ,it will stand up to any shotgun)
Several shotguns and muzzelloaders.
I know others that use ( with no problems) Bussnell trophy, Redfeild, Leupold-Gilmore , Aimpoint , Buris to name a few .
I when with the Millit because freinds use them and it is a mid priced red dot.

Johnch
Old 04-03-2005, 01:43 AM

i use one on my moss 835. Simmons 30. I love it because it gives me a fine aiming point to use.

Even though my gun came with nice glo-dot sights, I still prefer the red dot over traditional sights.

When your adrenaline is rushing though, that little dot is jumping around quite a bit...only bad thing.

I would just make sure it is shockproof, fogproof, etc. Some seem like their made more for bb guns, bows, or .22's and not big guns.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:20 AM

my friend uses a red dot i'm thinking about gettin one or just a regular shotgun scope
Old 04-04-2005, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

I just put one on my Remington 870. I bought a Bushnell Trophy with the B Mount adapter for the Remington. It was around $109 from Cabelas and another $20 or so for the B mount adapter. I like it because it gives you different sight options...A small dot, large dot, crosshair (+), and a dot with a circle and another circle around it. Also has 11 brightness controls. That B mount gives you see thru mounting so if the battery on the red dot fails I can still see my bead on the end of the ventilated rib.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:16 AM

Because I recently broke my right thumb, I'm going to shoot left-handed this spring while my thumb heals. I had a gunsmith put a Bushnell Holoscope on my shotgun, because I figured without a red dot I'd have no consistency in my aim. The gunsmith told me that the Bushnell Holoscope was probably the best, or at least one of the best, in his opinion. He also told me that a lot of the cheaper red dot scopes will "blow up" from the shock of a shot. I've shot about 20-25 rounds since I got the Holoscope, to get comfortable with it, to sight it in, and to pattern the new Federal Heavyweight Mag Shok Flite control shells. So far, I've had no problems. The Holoscope is easy to operate. I think I'll probably keep the scope on the gun even after my hand heals. I think it helps me think about where I'm aiming and looking through the scope reminds me to squeeze, not jerk the trigger.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ironranger

I just put one on my Remington 870. I bought a Bushnell Trophy with the B Mount adapter for the Remington. It was around $109 from Cabelas and another $20 or so for the B mount adapter. I like it because it gives you different sight options...A small dot, large dot, crosshair (+), and a dot with a circle and another circle around it. Also has 11 brightness controls. That B mount gives you see thru mounting so if the battery on the red dot fails I can still see my bead on the end of the ventilated rib.
I just picked one of these up and was wonder how you went about sighting it in? What yardage did you shoot it at to get a nice hit? Did you keep shooting it until the most pellets hit where the red dot was centered on the turkey? Was there much adjustment that need to be done? I plan on dailing in at 30 yds and then check the patterns at 10, 20, 30, 40 yds. Any tips will be appreciated.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:57 AM
Typical Buck

Bowtech, there may be some other previous posts on this out there if you search and I'm sure there are many different ways to do it correctly. What I did was start at about 15 yards so I'd get a real tight pattern. I used 2 3/4" number 5 pheasants loads for the initial shots at that range because of price and also recoil. Those 3.5" loads knock your teeth loose and are about $2.40 per shell as well. I was shooting low at that range so I moved the aim point in the down direction which actually brings the impact point up. then tested again and had a good pattern there. Then I moved out to 40 yards and switched to 3.5" Winchester Xtended range shells. Patterned good but seemed to be a little to the left so I moved aim point to the left which brings impact back to the right. At that point I was getting a uniform pattern at 40 yards. Then I went back to 20 yards and fired one more shots just to make sure I was good at that distance. Looked good so I left it at that. I skipped shooting at 30 yards for the sake of saving shells!!

Note-Previous to patterning I had polished my barrel using two sections of cleaning rod with a regular bore brush on the end, and attaching the other end into a cordless drill. then I cut one of those green 3m scouring pad to fit once around the brush with some extra length on each side. Stuffed paper towels in the receiver to catch drippage, poured Hopps down the barrel and on the pad, and ran that pad up and down using the drill. There was alot of black residue on that pad and I flipped it over and repeated again. I think it made a big difference in my pattern as I wasn't getting that uniform pattern at 40 yards before.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ironranger

Bowtech, there may be some other previous posts on this out there if you search and I'm sure there are many different ways to do it correctly. What I did was start at about 15 yards so I'd get a real tight pattern. I used 2 3/4" number 5 pheasants loads for the initial shots at that range because of price and also recoil. Those 3.5" loads knock your teeth loose and are about $2.40 per shell as well. I was shooting low at that range so I moved the aim point in the down direction which actually brings the impact point up. then tested again and had a good pattern there. Then I moved out to 40 yards and switched to 3.5" Winchester Xtended range shells. Patterned good but seemed to be a little to the left so I moved aim point to the left which brings impact back to the right. At that point I was getting a uniform pattern at 40 yards. Then I went back to 20 yards and fired one more shots just to make sure I was good at that distance. Looked good so I left it at that. I skipped shooting at 30 yards for the sake of saving shells!!
I just sighted my Ithaca Mod 37 Turkeyslayer with a Bushnell Trophy Red dot scope in. I started at 20 yds with # 7 1/2 target loads to set the evelation & windage. I had to move the evelation about 10 clicks and I was center cut. I then switched to Rem 3" #5 Hevi-shot and patterned it using a NWTF turkey target and got the following results. At 10 yds over 40 pellets and a hole the size of a golf ball in the kill zone, 20 yds 77 pellets, 30 yds 24 pellets, 40 yds 14 pellets. I guess I'm good to go.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:29 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds good bowtech, I look forward to hearing a story coming up soon...

Quick Reply: Red dot for turkeys?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.