Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Is Hevishot ok to use in all gun barrels?

Old 04-02-2005, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Is Hevishot ok to use in all gun barrels?

I keep hearing about some chokes not being able to handle hevishot, what about barrels? I have the Mossberg 9200 that I bought probably 6 years ago and don't want to ruin it.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is Hevishot ok to use in all gun barrels?

I understand that you can use hevishot if you can use steel shot. So I searched to find out if it is ok to use hevishot in my gun and came up with the following from the Mossberg site:

Can I shoot steel shot through all barrels ? Not all barrels. Barrels with an interchangeable Accu-Choke™ or Accu-Mag™ choke tube system, yes (with proper tubes installed); however, steel shot is not recommended for older "C-Lect Choke®" or fixed-choke barrels.

I have the interchangeable choke tube system, so figure I can use steel and hevishot. BUT then they go on to say:

Slugs, buckshot and steel shot loads are not recommended for use with an Extra Full "Turkey tube" installed, due to the tube's tight constriction. Do not fire any load without a choke tube installed, doing so will damage the internal choke tube threads.

Doesn't this mean that you shouldn't use hevishot in combination with an extra full turkey tube, such as the undertaker, or any of the Briley, TruGlow or other turkey tubes? I am still confused!
Old 04-02-2005, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Doug,

It's stating that the Mossberg choke may constrict the shot too much. This is a simple disclaimer stated by most companies. I purchased a new Ithaca last year, and their own X-full turkey choke is not rated for Hevi-shot. However, after contacting Ithaca tech support, they actually pattern the gun with #5 Hevi-shot. But you still load & shoot at your own risk...

You could easily however, if it bothers your conscience that badly, purchase an aftermarket choke (Rhino, Jellyhead), which are manufactured to shoot the denser shotloads.

S&R
Old 04-02-2005, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Strut&Rut, thanks!

I had gotten the undertaker copper/lead only choke, but took it back and got the undertaker "all turkey loads" choke that specifies that it is fine to use with hevishot. I thought the Mossberg quote I excerpted above was about the BARREL of the gun possibly not handling the shot with a constricted choke in it. If it won't harm the barrel or blow up on me, I'll use it. I understand their need to have the disclaimer.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Doug,

No, in most cases, the choke tubes are not durable enough to handle the steel/manganese etc. loads. The chokes themselves can split or blow.

Personally, I would suggest contacting the Mossberg technical staff and ask them if they shoot Hevi-shot through the factory chokes. Only a guess, but I'm betting they have at least fired a box through a gun or two to see if damage does actually occur...
Old 04-03-2005, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Doug on the Barrels question, Ray at Nitro-Ammo says that his Hevi-Shot will not hurt any barrel, Now as for as getting a choke to tight with hevi-shot I suppose it could be done, I don't think it would blow it apart but it might score it or something if it was made out of to soft of metal.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys! My undertaker (.675 I think) states that it is made for use with hevishot, so I guess I am good to go, IF it patterns well with my setup.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:16 AM

yea u can only shoot it through some chokes