Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Question for Nitro ammo users?

Old 04-01-2005, 06:19 AM

Default Question for Nitro ammo users?

I have read many posting on this forum recommending Nitro loads. Most of the people seem to shoot the 4x5x7 hevi's with enormous amounts of hits in a 10" area resulting from 2-1/4 or 2-1/2 oz loads and the rhino choke combo. I'm not toally sure about the 2-1/2, I just know that they are kinda hot!

My question is this...

How much shot ends up in the bird to be picked out later? or

why not just use regular 7 or 8 shot loads that will throw tons of pellets instead of paying 45.00 for a box of ten.

I'm just asking because I want to try them too!!! this is not a slam to people using them, I just want to get some info before paying 150.00 for nitro ammo/rhino choke combo.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Question for Nitro ammo users?

regular lead 7 or 8s arent dense like hevi shot...heavy shot is 10%heavier then lead...#7 or maybe it was 6 hevi shot performs like #5 lead...so them #4s are hitting like a brike...the 7s are small enough to fill in the pattern gaps(small shot usually patterns nice and dense) and still has enough umph to do the job....#7 or 8 lead probably wouldnt penetrate enough....exspecially at longer ranges....thats where hevi shot shines......this is all from what ive read....never shot it myself...but done alot of reading.....and by next year i bet im shooting a rhino/nitro combo....just cant afford it this year....gota get the truck paid for before i leave to college.....prom....ect......so its not happening this year.....
Old 04-01-2005, 08:24 AM
JR1

Mauser is pretty much right on. The 7s fill in the pattern in a remarkable way and they are heavy enough to do damage at amazing yardages. It's really the overall pattern with the Nitros that is so impressive. You've just got to shoot one and see it for yourself.

On a sad note, Nitro Ray is on at least a 15 day backorder...probably will get worse quickly....and he is out of Rhino chokes for now as well.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:15 PM

thanks for the info...i got to try this setup!!! I've told my friends at work about what I have been reading on the rhino/nitro combo. They thought I meant the Remington Nitro heavies, but I told them it is the nitrocompany not Rem. They are curious now too!!!

But like I said, it will be for next years season with new gun, so I'm not worried about the wait.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:17 PM

I was sceptical about them until I broke down and purchased the Nitro shells and a rhino choke. They are worth every penny if you are a perfectionist and want the best pattern you can get. Every thing you have read about them is true, yes there alot of pelets with 2 1/4 oz. of shot and majority of them are 7's. With my rem. 870 and 3 inch nitro's my pattern is about the size of a softball at 15 yards and stays in an almost perfect circle out to 50 yards (that's as far as I patterned it) at 40 yards I've got 287 pellets in an 11''x11'' turkey target with 36 pellets in the skull and vertebrae only(not the whole head and neck) Give them a try and you will not buy or shoot another ammo or choke!!
Old 04-01-2005, 09:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have 2 guns set-up with the Rhino-Nitro combo, An 870 Super-Mag and BPS 10 ga, after several chokes and countless different loads the Nitro's with the Rhino will clean up when it comes to a tight even pattern, IMO if you want the best go with Nitro ammo and Rhino choke, you will have to look long and hard to beat it.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:01 AM

thanks fellas...

I can't wait to try this setup and I havent heard one bad thing yet about it. I'll probably try to purchase during the off season when supplies will be back up, right now it seems everyone is out of chokes and ammo and I dont yet know what new gun I want to put them on.

I just wonder, with the popularity of the nitro rounds, when will the Big Dogs make their version like rem, win, and fed?