Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How to fix stripped screw (allen) on sights?

Old 03-31-2005, 05:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default How to fix stripped screw (allen) on sights?

I did this to my bow before, and now my gun. In the process of adjusting my sights, I stripped a small allen wrench headed screw. I was only trying to snug it to keep it from moving. I wish they made these things out of metal that doesn't strip so easy! Do I have to take it to a gunsmith now? I've heard of those heads from sears (craftsman?) that get screws, etc. out and tried it once on some other type of stripped screw and it didn't work. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2005, 06:40 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: How to fix stripped screw (allen) on sights?

Your best bet would be to go to a gunsmith....unless you have an 'easy out' and feel comfortable doing it yourself.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Now what I do. I add a drop of Loc-Tite and jsut snug it. I never have had a problem either getting them out or theat dang little allen screw coming loose. And it has stopped me from stripping them.

JW
Old 03-31-2005, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

i was trying to suggest things on another board for him, for the life of me i could not think of easy out, i had to make phone calls, lmao.......but i knew the tool(brainfart)......good luck getting it out
Old 03-31-2005, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

JW, to put lock tite in, I would have to take out the screw and the site would move. I wish they had lines so you could end up where you want the site.

Thanks huntnma. Looks like we frequent the same boards... I'll go give it a lookover tonight and figure on what to do. I might just take it back and get another one or get a credit and see where I hit just using my beads.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:11 PM

if its totally stripped w/ no threads you can re-tap it. you'll have to go up one size on your screw. I've done this many times. its easy. tap and die setes are reasonably priced. or you might be able to clean the threads up if there not to damaged. and make sure you use some lock tight. if your not comfortable doing this. I'd advise you to take it to a gun smith. they can re-tap pretty cheap.