Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

MAN, THIS STINKS!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-21-2005, 07:54 AM

Default MAN, THIS STINKS!!!!!!!!!!

WELL I TOOK OFF FROM WORK FOR THE OPENING WEEK HERE IN ALABAMA, AND YA KNOW WHAT OUT OF 5 STRAIGHT DAYS OF HUNTING I DID NOT HEAR OR SEE ONE BIRD. NO NOT ONE BIRD. WHERE I"M AT THEIR NOT GOBBLING YET. SAW PLENTY OF FRESH SIGNS BUT NO VOCALIZATION WHAT SO EVER. THIS HAS GOT TO BE MY WORST OPENING WEEK EVER. USUALLY I'VE ALREADY GOT ONE OR TWO BY NOW, BUT ANYWAY THATS HUNTING FOR YOU. I'M NOT GIVING UP. STILL GOT A MONTH AND A HALF TO GO AND I KNOW THEY WILL START GETTING HOT BEFORE LONG. IT IS JUST SO WEIRD HOW BIRDS ON OUR LAND ARE NOT SAYING A WORD BUT BIRDS ON OTHER PEOPLES PROPERTY 20 MINUTES DOWN THE ROAD ARE GOBBLING THEIR HEADS OFF. I GUESS TURKEYS ARE KINDA LIKE PEOPLE, EACH ONE HAS ITS OWN PERSONALITY. ANYWAY HOPEFULLY THINGS WILL START TO LOOK UP.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:52 AM

Default RE: MAN, THIS STINKS!!!!!!!!!!

I know what if feels like to have a week like that. Keep after them though!!! It only takes 5 seconds!!! You'll score!
Old 03-21-2005, 12:35 PM
Typical Buck

Been there done that too. Personally, I think I'd be taking a 20 minute ride. As long as your not working and can be out hunting, it's all good.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:46 PM

JOLLYARCHER I AGREE WITH YOU 100%. A BAD DAY IN THE WOODS IS BETTER THAT A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:55 PM

I feel your pain. Only, I had toms all around me this past weekend. Killed by others, not me. My father, holding back for next week, just went on walkabout for two days and had them all over him. One was even roosted above his head when he stopped for a drink of water. Gobbled and scared the crap out of him. It flew off and he could see the beard. He just loves telling those kind of stories to tear me up.

Hang in there. Hope to be up in the roll tide state in April. Saw way toooooooo many birds to pass it up. Hitting Geogia too.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

That basically happend 2 me 2 last year.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:53 PM
Typical Buck

They aren't real vocal around here yet either. I did get fortunate on the bird I took, but it was more of being in the right place at the right time and hitting on an interrested 2yr old. I've just tried to go and sit in areas that have had birds year after year and called very little. They are starting to get the feeling, but the hens aren't interrested just yet. So far, myself and a couple others that hunt where I do, have been successful later in the morning after the toms have been around a few unreceptive hens. This has been interresting because they aren't hung up by the hens and if he's not getting any action where he's at, he'll go and investigate other options. Keep at 'em and good luck.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:19 PM

Has anybody else been hunting your land? Sounds like the birds have figured out it's hunting season. They don't need a whole lot of brains to know when somebody is trying to kill them and move on.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

i know our birds seem to be doing everything a lil later than they did last year...this time last year you couldnt go down the road without seein a strutter, not this year....not a peep.....i hunted the last 3 days and nothing, but i did have fun.....
Old 03-22-2005, 09:44 AM

I've been in the woods every day since our season in mississippi has opened (7days). I have heard two turkeys gobble a total of 11 times. They were gobbling better two weeks ago I geuss all of the wind, cool weather and rain has got them messed up. I did luck up and saw some hens fly up opening afternoon and decided to hunt close to them the next morning. I put a jake and hen decoy in a food plot before daylight hoping they would come in the field since it was raining, they did. Thirteen hens and one jake came up to the decoys and acted a little mad at the intruders but the gobbler paid them no attention. I did everything I could to get him to come closer or at least gobble. For two ours he just fed around with the hens and finally come close enough for a shot. What is weired is he never gobbled or even strutted, he didn't even half strut, he just fed around and showed the hens or the jake no attention. He had a 8 1/4'' beard and 3/4'' spurs so I am asuming he was a two year old and should have been strutting and gobbling at every thing. The two turkeys that I have heard gobblr only gobbled on the roost.

Quick Reply: MAN, THIS STINKS!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.