Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Pop up blinds

Old 03-18-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Pop up blinds

My question is , using pop up blinds is it alright to just set it up from location to location and hunt during the day, or should you set it up and leave it a few days before you hunt in it? Thanks.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:37 PM

Default RE: Pop up blinds

Turkeys pay no attention to a Blind! You do not need to leave your Blind Out in the Woods for Day's on End, and risk having it Stolen.Also you do not have to remain in One place, when using a Blind. Break it Down and move your set Up, if you have to.Good Luck!
Old 03-18-2005, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never hunted out of a blind. I might try one if I was bow hunting Gobblers... Seems like to much of a hassle for running and gunning...
Old 03-18-2005, 09:12 PM

I just bought one today, and it is great. I will be using it this spring, as I bow hunt only. Friends of mine have them, and no, you don't need to set them up in advance. DOn't worry about brushing them in, netting the windows, nothing. Them dumb birds just don't pay any attention to them. Hunt without fear.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:02 PM

I have been HAMMERING the birds from my Double Bull for the last couple of seasons. They pay them absolutely NO attention whatsoever. I bowhunt deer from my blind and you have to brush it or at least hide it and break up the outline from deer. With turkeys you can actually sit right out in a field, pasture or whatever. Find a mid-morning struttin area and WHACK EM from the blind. They will walk right by them without so much as a glance.

I DO have the windows meshed but thats just because I already use it like so for deer. I am SERIOUS, they pay them NO attention. I have killed turkeys from the blinds with NO camo on, no headnet or gloves and sitting on a nice comfy stool. The window mesh keeps the mosquitos out and sitting on the stool really cuts down on chiggers and ticks as well! I "run and gun" with mine EVERYTIME. Its so nice not having to pick a spot, get setup and wear alot of camo crap. Just throw the blind down and get ready.

Great way to introduce a beginner too the sport as well,
RA
Old 03-19-2005, 12:09 PM

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll be giving the ol' blind a work out this season.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:53 PM

Smok, I dont know what type Blind you are using, But if your's has the Spring Steel Bands, that errect the Blind, Be carefull about setting it Up, to close to a Roost Area. A Friend of mine, Bought One of the Less expensive Blinds, and Took it Out of it's Nylon Case, and Dropped it On the Ground, within 100 Yards of a Known Roost Site. The thing made noises that I can not even describe with Word's, and the Bird's Lit Out of that Roost Site like a Scalded Dog! He asked me where I think that they may have Flown too, and I remarked Boliva. 100 Yards is Fine, if you are quiet setting it Up, and not letting it Swoosh Up, in one felled Swoop. Good Luck! Be safe!
Old 03-19-2005, 04:44 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I have also used blinds as described...........with great success..... There is a wide selcetion out there......

I ahve several including a new Double Bull matrix which I can't wait to use........

JW
Old 03-20-2005, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Pop-ups are great and we use them for some of our clients. If they are used for deer season, and the weather gets cold, ice n snow, I recommend taking them down. They cannot withstand the torture of being unzipped with Ice on the zippers and will tear up. I also have built quite a few wooden blinds for them to hunt from. Just a 4x4x6 with a 14" window all around, place camo burap available from Walmart, to cover the windows. Make slits in it various spots to shoot through. Cost roughly $150 to make one and they will last for years and it can be left in place, if you are hunting on private land.