Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Choke tube question

Old 03-09-2005, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Choke tube question

Last year I shot the truglo strut stopper choke tube and It worked very well. I killed two birds, one at 55 yards. But I have never patterned any other tubes. I shoot a Remington 11-87 and want to shoot HeviShot, either 5's or 6's probably. the shells are 3.5 inch shells. I just want some suggestion on another tube or two to try patterning. I was thinking of the primos jellyhead or a comp-n-choke but would like to hear what you all prefer. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Choke tube question

I'd go with comp-n-choke with I were only going to limit it to those two tubes. Just bought a Rhino tube and it's awesome out of my 870! you should comsider Rhino to add to you list. However, you might want to try the Jellyhead because I just heard from Sandy yesterday that Nitro is starting to work a load up for the Jellyhead .660 and the .665 tube. They're (Nitro) not sure just yet which one they like best but will have results in another month.

When does you season come in? I just sent out my Jellyhead and Kicks tube to another member in NY to try in his gun. If he's done testing them out soon I'll send them out to you to try.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:40 AM

Comp-n-Choke recommend's that you do not shoot HeviShot out of thier tubes. Primos has a new tube out now called the Tight wad that handles HeviShot.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot a Undertaker tube in my 11-87 for years with Hevi shot
I love it .

Johnch
Old 03-09-2005, 01:31 PM

johnch,
i too have the undertaker and am absolutely love it. my 870 with winchester 2oz #6's throws a fantastic pattern. i thru a few remington hevi #6's with awesome results also. i have gone back and forth with an individual from hs strut that says DO NOT shoot hevi thru their standard tube. the final word sounded like you MAY cause tube and barrel damage. i dont have a problem buying another tube(or 4 for that matter....lol) but am reluctant to if they are just trying sell another tube and that i might get a worse pattern
Old 03-09-2005, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

Choke tubes... what works for one may not work for another, even if the guns are identical, shooting the exact same loads. Kinda like two Corvettes sold on the same day... one of them is going to run the 1/4 mile much better than the other.

As far as Hevi-shot, (and I've read more on it over the last month than I ever read on lead), I'd try to stay with chokes rated to accept it. Surprisingly, the economical Truglo chokes are.

The Comp-n-Choke is a good product, but they do not advise its use with Hevi-shot. Here's a pic from their website showing you why...

Take note that the front bead is missing, which leads me to believe that more damage was done to the gun than just to the end of the choke tube itself.

From what I've found during countless hours of reading, and based on actual consumer reports, there is no choke on the market that shoots Hevi-shot as well as a Rhino. I imagine that you "could" by trial and error find a combo as good, but it would likely be cost ineffective based on known results.

The makers of Hevi-shot say... "Any choke tube that is manufactured from high-quality steel, such as stainless, should be acceptable for use with Hevi-Shot. Choke tube manufacturers such as Rhino, Patternmaster, Carlson's, Truglo and Trulock offer Turkey choke tubes that are suitable for use with Hevi-Shot."

There are others on the market as well. I've heard some say that since it's turkey we're shooting at, (at best a couple shots a season), that it won't hurt to shoot Hevi's. Personally, I'm not a gambler and will stay with chokes that are rated. I think you'll be safer in the long run.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

squidkid
I talked to several(4) tube makers about Hevi shot at a dealer trade show.
Every one ( Comp-n-choke was not there) said Hevi shot can scratch the tubes .
The no Hevi shot warning is to cover their @ss
But when ask what they shot 3 of 4 said Hevi shot and number 4 would not give a straight anser.
Another thing if you go to Cabelas they have metal targets shot with Hevi shot and NON Hevi shot aproved tubes on display ( or did in Dundee)

Johnch
Old 03-10-2005, 02:44 PM

i dont think my bow has a spot on it for a choke tube
Old 03-10-2005, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am sure it could mount to the stabilizer
Old 03-10-2005, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is what a Rhino choke tube sized .660 and 3" Nitro hevishot loads did out of my 1300. That's a 10" circle on that target, and I counted an honest 316 pellets inside!!!
That is what kind of pattern I was searching for all along. Glad I made the switch two seasons ago, because there is no more holes in my patterns at that distance, and hevishot hits like a sledgehammer compared to lead.

Quick Reply: Choke tube question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.