Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Just wanted to share a story

Old 03-02-2005, 07:43 AM

Default Just wanted to share a story

Opening morning a few years back I had a freak situation happen. I called in 8 birds and about 5-7 hens all within 25 yards of my setup. I was psyched to say the least! I was fixed on one of the birds that was in my line of sight and his beard looked to be what I went out that day for. once he came out in front of me past a branch that was in my way I let him have it with a 3 1/2" load to the head. All the birds scattered and I ran up on him and found a surprise awaiting.... I had accidentally shot 3 birds with one shot. The second surprise is that every one of them was a Jake! I was upset with the fact that I had inadvertantly killed 2 other birds in the process and was also disappointed in the fact that the main bird I was shooting for was a Jake. He had a 7 inch beard and nubs for spurs but I swear he was a Tom by his beard and tail feathers. The other jakes had beards of 6 and 5" and could have fooled anyone. The thing is, I felt I had to take each one of them out of the field with me back to the truck. The thing is, here in NY you are only allowed 2 birds all season and only one bird a day. I felt like I had done something wrong and didn't want to get stop by the conservation officers. My question is... is has anyone done something like this and if so do you think that the eyes of the law would understand the situation and how it was unintentional? Just wondering if I'm not the only one who's made this mistake?
Old 03-02-2005, 08:32 AM

Default RE: Just wanted to share a story

Did you not see the birds around the other one?

Always make sure of whats behind your target.
(This is not intent to bash you, just asking)
RBBH
Old 03-02-2005, 08:51 AM

Actually I didn't see them, I was in front of about 15 or more birds at the time and wasn't paying attention since there was so much action going on, I know... my bad and it really bothers me to think about it, but it taught me a good lesson that I carry over with every hunt now.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:40 PM
Typical Buck

Years ago I first started turky hunting I went out and busted a gobbler and went to check him in. At the checking station I found out there was one more day until the season opened[] Guy at the checking station said I should go and not tell anybody. I couldn't do that so I call the DNR officer (who I knew but not personally) and he actually let me go with a warning! another[] to my system. It was an honest mistake on my behalf and I did feel bad! I didn't hunt the rest of the season for my second turkey. I told the DNR officer I heard two other shots towards town and it turns out he busted them. Two guys roost shooting on the same property he (DNR officer) hunts on. He was there listening for the gobblers to sound off and got a bonus of an ear full. He also heard my shot but was busy writting tickets to the other guys. He said he letting me go only because I turned myself in and he could see I was upset at myself.

Only thing you can do is learn from your mistake, which sounds like you have I know I did
Old 03-02-2005, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can only imagine what would of been said had I posted either of these blunders!!!
Old 03-02-2005, 04:15 PM

My uncle did that last year. But he had the tags to do it. But in the laws eyes in your situation. They would just say " its your fault for not makeing a SAFE shot."
Old 03-02-2005, 04:41 PM

I will definnally not throw rocks at anyone in the glass house,because it will happen to anyone who hunts a life time.it happened to me one time. I was working one bird,he finally got across the property line(I didn't have permission to hunt). I sat and watched him at 30 yards strutting and gobbling foe 30 min. when I heard a bird struming to my left. I say a gobbler standing there 15 yards in full strut. I turned slowly and put it on him and fired. I got up and went to him and about 10 yards passed that bird was another gobbler,laying flat on his back , wings spread full out.he was blinking his eyes so I finished him with a stick.
There was no way I knew there was another bird. I don't know where he was or came from.

so I know it can happen to anyone.I always look at the other birds and what is around.I was legal and not legal,it was season and we don't have tags.it is to be only one bird a day.(illeagle in that aspect)
Old 03-02-2005, 05:15 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

I can only imagine what would of been said had I posted either of these blunders!!!
Difference is I knew it was wrong, honest mistake or not! Took care of it by turning myself in to face the consequences. Mistakes are made in life all the time, it's how we handle them and what we learn from them that counts Have a nice day
Old 03-02-2005, 05:50 PM
Dominant Buck

MK-M-GOBL you are an ethical sportsman. My hat is off to you for doing the right thing as painful as it must have been..
Old 03-02-2005, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks As for it being painful? If you can call being humiliated painful, than it was. It been a long time and I try to think back as to why I thought the season opened but can't recall.