Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

scotch brite bore cleaning....

Old 02-14-2005, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default scotch brite bore cleaning....

i cant find that post about cleaning your barrels with scotch brite or something like that.....i was wondering how its done and what the results were? im not trying to ruin my patterns.....but would love to have them look even better......anyone want to fill me in? ill keep looking for that thread....thanx guys
Old 02-15-2005, 08:53 AM

Default RE: scotch brite bore cleaning....

I burnished my Mossberg 835 by removing the barrel, attaching xxx steel wool to a long wooden dowel, sprayed Remington gun oil in the barrel and used a drill to work the steel wool. After about 30 minutes it looked like a mirror in there. Don't know how much my pattern improved, it was already very good, but it sure is pretty.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Search this forum using "polish" as the search term. Check out the post by Adrian from the results. Hope this helps.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:27 PM
Typical Buck

mauser06- I change my "show post" to 365 days and did a search for "gun polishing" and came up with this post from 3/5/04

Hope this is what you were looking for and that it helps

I was very sceptical of this method last year when I tried it. I wasn't going to but it only cost about $3.oo so I figured I couldn't lose. First thing you need to do is get some scotch brite the green stuff by 3m (other brands fall apart to quickly). Then by yourself the blue stuff made for finishing metal or the no scratch stuff. You must have a drill to do this though. Next if you have a twelve gauge you get out the wire brush made to clean out the twelve gauge. You cut the scotch brite to wrap around the brush once and then just a little extra (youll see why in a sec). Then you need to get some solvent oil or I just use wd-40. Wrap the scotch brite around the wire brush and apply a liberal amount of the oil to the scotch brite and I also spray some down the barrel. The brush should be attached the cleaning rods so it will reach the length of the barrell. I then attached the end in the drill chuck and tightened it down. No you must start slow but try to ease the scotch brite down the barrell (starting at the trigger end). This is where the little extra scotch brite will help as you power the drill the scotch brite will start spinning and the little extra flap will keep the pad tight to the brush. Then you get it goin and I did this for about 5 minutes with the green, put a new green pad on and go for 5 more minutes. Then put on the finishing pads and do that for about 5 minutes. While your doing this make sure to work it up and down the length of the barrel, Also apply oil as needed (the barrel does become a little warm but the oil will help reduce this. You may want to do this outside and junky clothes on because it creates a bit of a mess.
Now clean your barrell like you normally would. Take a look down your barrel and it will be as smooth as glass. If not continue drilling. When it is completley shiny go re-pattern your gun you should be pleasently suprised how much polishing your barrel can help out a turkey pattern. I got 25% more lead in the 10" circle @35 yrd just by doing this simple little technique. I believe the reasoning behind this working is that when the manufacturer makes the barrel they dont do a very good job of polishing it out. Now I didn't invent this I seen it somewhere last year but I STRONGLY RECCOMEND it. I was impressed now I dont have a doubt when I enter the woods the pattern will be there.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys.....im going t otry it real soon.....maybe saturday ill do it....buy my sights....and then go shoot it sat or sunday....cant wait.....sounds like it should fill in the holes a little....i did find the thread after looking numerous times.....i didnt think it was that far back.....ill post and let you guys know if it helps....
Old 02-16-2005, 06:14 AM

That was a very interesting read. Is there any chance that you could mess up the barrel? How will this techique effect the rest of your shooting? i.e. pheasant hunting out of the same gun?