Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

head shot vs body shot

Old 02-15-2005, 01:45 PM

Default RE: head shot vs body shot

I would agree that a body shot is fine at 10 yards or less. But let's define "body" a little. What I'm refering to is just a little bit lower than the wattles where the neck starts to broaden down toward the breast. I would never try to wing shoot one at any range. Just pull down from the wattles a little bit when he's breathing on your hat bill and take off his neck between the breast and wattles. It'll make a widow every time.

WM
Old 02-15-2005, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

im just throwing it out there guys,im not trying to stir the pot.quiksilver says 10-15 yards.i shoot a deadly 12 gauge load but i still think i wont take the shot.im just trying to educate myself or anybody else that will think about a body shot.bottom line,we dont want to cripple birds,we all have that in common.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:05 PM

Its Stupid To Shoot A Turkey In The Body..Always Shoot For The Head..10 Yards Away Even...The Head...Now As For The Wattles Yeah..But Shooting The Body?
No...If Your Shooting Turkeys In The Body You Shouldnt Be Turkey Hunting.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:18 PM

It is all depentent on the person I guess, me no body shot at any range,1 yard , 5 yards or any othere yardage.nor will I shoot a flying bird.Never ,Never a flying bird.

the waddles is the same size(really not) as the head. the head is really larger than the waddles.they are the same size as the neck from the head to where it joines the body.it is only part of the neck.

it is all in the person.

body ; not my pot of tea!!!!! no, no , no!!!
Old 02-16-2005, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

with a bow - yes
with a gun - no way
Old 02-16-2005, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dont believe I've seen a shotgun patterning target yet for a turkeys body!!I would widen my pattern some or shoot them in the head and neck at whatever comfortable range you feel is neccassary before they get to close!Crippling a bird is far worse than a clean miss!
Old 02-16-2005, 08:19 AM
Typical Buck

I know I've missed a few turkeys by hitting them too low or missing at close range. It really depends upon the range and what you are shooting but for the most part I wouldn't recommend it. A hunting partner of mine had a late night and fell asleep with decoys out in front of him. He awoke to flapping wings and a gobbler humping one of his decoys. He was using a NE single shot 10 gauge and couldn't see the head as the gobbler was in the "Gettin' it on" position hunched forward. He put one between the shoulder blades and the bird went down. With the heavy artillery that he was using it worked!! Quicksilver has a point there about close shots. Last spring, first afternoon, I sat down about 4:00pm and started calling. My setup sucked and a bird came in behind me thru an open area. I could see something black out of the corner of my eye. Finally had to move as the straining was making my vision all blurry. Turned my head and there he was about 6 yard or so right behind me. He putted and ran around in a circle but didn't run away. He couldn't see my arms as there was a dirt hump covering my movements. I pulled around trying to shoot right handed (I'm left handed) and took aim and fired. He flapped up in the air and came down running. I couldn't believe I missed him at about 9 yards!! That pattern is really small at that range and maybe a body shot would've taken him. I'm not condoning body shots nor will I try one but if it works for some then more power to you...
Old 02-16-2005, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never had a gobbler that close. The closest I've ever had one was about 20 yards. If I had a gobbler at 15 yards or less I would not hesitate to take a body shot if thats the only shot I had...
Old 02-17-2005, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

i have not heard from a turkey hunter that killed a turk at any range from a body shot.i know there are some experianced hunters on this forum so my decision is not to shoot at a turk at any range to the body.its just food for thought,i never took that shot,and it would bother me to cripple a bird.im just saying when your pumped up and busted,the safety is off and your ready to shoot you have to make a split second decision.thanx for the input guys.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:40 PM

Body shpts are a definite NO NO. The feathers are similar to chain mail armor. If you want to penetrate those feathers you need #4 buckshot or larger. The head shot properly done is a beautiful thing improperly done is horrible. So here is a simple rule to follow, If you do not have a clear unobstructed shot at the FULL head and neck DO NOT SHOOT. BTW for those who do not know the point of aim is not the head but the coruncles (the round warty looking things at the base of the neck where the feathers and bare head skin meet). The reason this should be the point of aim is that your patern is round and if you aim at the head the top half of your pattern will pass harmlessly over the top of his head. With the coruncles as a point of aim the center of your pattern will sever the cervical spine and the top of the pattern will penetrate the cranium. Instead of the top half being wasted the bottom half will then have a chance to penetrate the lower neck and upper breast. Use all of your pattern.

Quick Reply: head shot vs body shot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.