Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Shooting turkeys on the roost

Old 02-20-2005, 02:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Shooting turkeys on the roost

NYS and when I hunted in Pa on public land I had a riot.I was hunting a place in Pa during the week there might be five other cars on 12,000 acres.

I know a guy that guides in SC when he comes up he hunts public land.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt Western Md. Which borders Pa, WV. So I have to deal with a lot of Pa pressure!!!! Maybe I need to buy me a out of state license and jump ship>>>
Old 02-20-2005, 04:38 PM
Typical Buck

All the guys who said that they would "never" do it. What kind of property do you hunt private or public???
Why should that make a difference? I hunt private and public and WOULD NEVER SHOOT A TURKEY OFF THE ROOST. I uderstand there are morons out there that do it but it doesn't mean it's right. When I hear about it happening all it means to me is that they don't know how to turkey hunt.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Mr. Longbeard you ever decide to give NYS a try drop me an e-mail.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the invite Charlie P
Old 02-20-2005, 07:52 PM

Why would you want to? All the fun is trying to outsmart them before they see you. I would find it boring to do so.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've hunted both, and still do,and still would NEVER change my position on this subject!I've already stated to me its a safety issue and I wont let things like peer pressure,competitions,and just plain iggnorance change my better judgement just to kill a turkey!!!!!!!
Old 02-21-2005, 09:56 AM

I can't believe that there are folks who would actually shoot one on the roost. That's something that all even half-way serious and responsible turkey hunters should strongly discourage.

I can imagine a young kid who hasn't been taught how to turkey hunt doing it, but not an adult.

Hal
Old 02-21-2005, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well this is a sore spot for me, and here it is :

1/ It is the Most uneithical thing that a person could do.

2/ It is not hard to do what so ever.

3/ If it is done , the person is not a hunter but mearly a Killer and does not fit into the turkey hunting sport bracket.

4/ All DNR's and MNR's that approve of this type action , does not care about the sport of ethical hunting and must approve of the action for different terms other then the sport (Tags=Revenue).

5/ If you have as a person getting into the sport , I sure hope that you have decided after you did it the first time to resault into a better ethical way and learned from passed exsperence , that Calling a bird into range is a far more better exsperence , then this sort of action.

These type hunters take away a part of the sport for the true Turkey hunting sportsmen, as I hear the same every year in this country I live. This is one of the Lowest grade eithics I have heard of from being a part from Pouching. I have and would suggest to all to presure your DNR /MNR to have this sort of Regulation changed in your State.

No one will hunt with me and take on this sort of action as a resault of killing a bird in my area or anywhere else I hunt or guide...BT
Old 02-21-2005, 11:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Adrian Couldn't agree more. Believe me if Mr. Longbread ever came to NY it wouldn't be to shoot one on the roost.

Quick Reply: Shooting turkeys on the roost

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.