Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Shooting turkeys on the roost

Old 02-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooting turkeys on the roost

I just don't see any fun in roost shootin.I kinda get a kick outta when an old Tom whoops my butt. As for walkin under a roosted bird I've done that many times just by pure accident.Just my opinion but to me it takes the fun and the challenge outta the hunt.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm sure the guys out there that think that this is unethical are the guys who limit out on gobblers on a regular bases
I've only been Turkey hunting for about four years and limiting out hasn't been a problem I've had to deal with. I would never shoot a bird on it's roost especially if it was my first bird, it would just make the hunt unmemorable, but that's me. I'd rather go seasons with out getting one.For me Turkey hunting isn't all about bringing a bird home. It's the whole spring experience that I love. The interacting with a wild critter and convincing it your one of them. The reawakening of the woods.

As far as it being hard to sneak in on a Turkey on the roost. Come on. If I can do it being basically a rookie Turkey hunter with my son along it's not that difficult.

I'm not going to sit here and put down people for doing it just can't understand what would drive a person to do it.

If your not catching walleye and it's the last day of the season would you throaw a stick of dynamite in so you could limit out?
Old 02-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it's legal, what's the problem?
Old 02-07-2005, 02:11 PM

Seems to me that shooting a turkey on the roost would be like shooting squirrels in their nests, or sight fishing bass on their nests with a bow and arrow, or spotlighting deer at night. Just ain't right.

Hal
Old 02-08-2005, 09:07 AM

people do it here in PA. i dont like it. i think it is alright to shoot to get the turkeys off the roost, and break them up, but i think it is just plain lazy and wrong to shoot them off the roost. why not go out and get a turkey by calling it in. that seems more rewarding to me
Old 02-08-2005, 09:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think it is alright to shoot to get the turkeys off the roost, and break them up,
[:'(] I love to be around people that just shoot for no good reason. You telling me you need to fire at birds on the roost? Why so you can spook them. Especially in low light conditions.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:03 PM

i would be ashame to tell some one i had shot one from the roost, what have you learned from that,turkey hunting is all about the challenge of making him come to you,good luck with your decision.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also thought it was illegal?
Old 02-18-2005, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

i dont but ill anser for micheal wadell..."Yes"
Old 02-18-2005, 07:59 PM

Well I'm new to this forum but not to turkey hunting. I 20+ years under my belt so I claim a right to an opinion. As many of you get to know me through this forum you might wish I didnt have an opinion. I speak my mind freely and loudly.
As for shooting a roosted bird, if I catch the SOB he'll be trying to find a roost to get away from me. Roost shooting is just one of the acts that led to the near destuction of the most magnificent game bird known to man. There are two ways to get on my bad side one is to mess with my dogs and the second is to poach my turkeys. Either of those will get you hurt.

Quick Reply: Shooting turkeys on the roost

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.