Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Did I ruin it?

Old 02-03-2005, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Did I ruin it?

I have been hunting turkeys for several years and always used mouth and box calls. Last week I bought a Woods Wise slate call for $10. I know it was a cheapie, but wanted to see if I like it before I spent more. I was using it last night, and it quit making sounds all together![&:] I used the little sanding pad on the striker and the call, still nothing? Is the striker shot allready or is it the cheap call, or a combo of the 2? I am planning on buying a better call soon, as I really like the slate calls, but should I pick up a new striker for the WW call, too? Thanks.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:57 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: Did I ruin it?

Nah!

Probably got your hand oil on the slate. But the light sanding didn't fix that huh?

I constantly sand all my glass and slate calls.

Do look at your striker and make sure that is clean. Try different strikers. Thourgh use you do wear the edges out and you may need to re-edge them.

Take the slate and wipe it with a little alcohol and let it dry. That will take youhand oil off.

JW
Old 02-03-2005, 04:53 PM

if its a wood striker, burning the end slightly, or dampening it with your spit seems to work very well for me. You might try some actual sandpaper on the striker, those abrasive pads dont do much to wood.

I dont really use carbon strikers so if its one of those, i cant help ya much

Mat
Old 02-03-2005, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you got oil on it from your hand, clean it with alcohol, then re-sand it.