Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

calling turkeys in the spring

Old 01-31-2005, 07:03 PM

Default calling turkeys in the spring

hi
im from PA
pa is a high pressure state when it comes to turkeys.
what my question is
during opening day, should i call aggressive to get that turkeys attention and to keep him from going to the other hunters?

chuck
Old 01-31-2005, 07:12 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: calling turkeys in the spring

Well the best I can say..........each bird is different.

By that I mean you need to read each bird as they respond to you. Sometimes it is quiet soft clucks and a few purrs. Then other times it is agressive cutting and then there are times it a combination of both.

Not every bird will come a runnin' at agressive calling. It is a cat and mouse game and really you are changing biology of what nature has dictated. The Tom gobbles to gahter his hen or hens and he aska them to come to him. You are teasing asking the Tom to come look for you.

Sorry I could not be more exact but in all my years chasing these things I learn something new each time I go.

JW
Old 01-31-2005, 08:10 PM

Default RE: calling turkeys in the spring

Yep. let the bird dictate the lingo. I have called them in using agressive, loud calls, and the one I shot last spring I yelped one time all morning. He answered, and I never made another sound. Shot him 15 minutes after sunrise.