Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Forcing Cone Modifications??

Old 01-25-2005, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Forcing Cone Modifications??

I was thinking about getting my forcing cone lengthened in my turkey setup. Any of you guys ever tinker with that??

I'm wondering what to expect in terms of pattern density increase at 40-60 yds... My turkey budget isn't much, but it's been something I've been looking at for some time now. If it's not worth the money, I'll probably blow my butka on a new set of decoys.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Forcing Cone Modifications??

Patterning Turkey Guns

The perfect turkey gun can be made from a little time and a few adjustments. Most standard guns tend to have an average forcing cone around 2 inches in length. By having the forcing cone lengthened one can make a gun shoot a little tighter. Most new turkey gun setups from the factory already have this option done. This Can add up to 10% of a better dencity in ones pattern. Polishing of the Chamber/Barrel can also help with the shot pattern moving through a barrel in a better formation allowing the pattern to produce up to 25% tighter. This can be done with a Drill, Scotch brite pads in Green and Blue and light oil. The 3m brand are better quality. Take a wire cleaning brush for the gauge and wrape the green on and attach to the Rod and the drill. Work the barrel for about 5 min. and change and do the same with the Blue. Add a little oil as it seems to disappear. After your barrel is finished, check and see that all sides are Glass clean, if not rework it.

Sights can also help one with the stress of having a bird in front of the gun. Lighted sights and Scopes are most common on a turkey gun. This can give the hunter an edge on placing the biggest % of shot pattern on the Target evenly.

As some may know shotguns can shoot different loads/ weights and Makes differently from other guns. Choke tubes can also handle a load different from others as well.

A bore size on a normal 12 Gauge is about .731 inch , A factory full choke is in the area of .700 inch. Turkey chokes are even tighter .640,.645,.650,.660,.665,.670,.680,.690 and there are sizes inbetween depending on the company that makes them. As said, the .660 is a all around choke for a good #4 or #5 shot with a higher weight of shot in a load. When shooting Heavy-Shot you will be looking at a restrition of about .680 for #5 or #6 shot. These type of chokes can come in different types of restrictions, Tappered, Short Tapper, Long Tapper.This can also effect the shot patterns % a little. There are also Ported or Non Ported chokes. Porting effects the Recoil of your firearm , getting rid of gases as soon as the wad leaves the barrel. These restriction Turkey Chokes are a great investment towards the success of a great shooting Turkey gun... My personal gun shoots the .660 Long Tappered with Winchester HV #5, 2 oz loads.

A good idea is to team up with a couple/few friends and everyone buy a different make of Turkey loads. oz are a common weight in turkey loads. The lighter the weight the higher and wider the load pattern will perform. This way different brands can be used to see how your turkey gun will work with any one brand of ammo. Keeping in mind that a #6 shot will pattern and look good in most every turkey gun. Testing should be done with #4-5 shot, a shot size that most guns find hard to pattern evenly.

Different yardages in testing is important. Most average shots will happen in the 30-40 yard range. This is the most important range that one should pattern with his/her turkey gun. Testing 25/30/35/40 can help the shooter to determent the ability and maxim shooting range of your turkey gun. A 20 yard shot is also important to see how the gun will hold the shot at this range. It is not uncommon to have a gun throw off shot patterns , this is where sight systems can help to place the pattern on the center of the target. The shooter/hunter is looking for a pattern that will be even without holes in the pattern and as many pellets in the kill area as the gun can do. A good pattern from a turkey gun should be able to place 90% of the load in a 12inch circle around the turkey head at 30yds. Every gun will have some flyers in the load.

The use of a rangefinder can help one to determent the proper shooting range with testing and hunting. Practice in pacing the yardages while testing can also help with guessing a hunting shot. Understanding a shotgun and how the load drops at the exceeded range is also important in hunting success. A shot at a close target (20)yds will tend to shoot high, most close shots tend to miss because of the energy of the shell in the lift of the shot in this range.

Practicing an aim point on your target is a good idea.
20-30 yds aim point of a turkey should be the Waddles of the bird. This is the lumpy area on the turkey neck, where the skin and feathers meet. 30-40 yds the aim point should be the Eye of the bird. One should keep in mind ,When the energy pushes the load from the gun the energy is most powerful at the muzzle. As the load travels the energy falls off and starts to lower in the distance of the shot. This is why it is not practical and ethical to shoot at a turkey over the 40 yard range.

Practicing this method will make more success in your turkey hunting ability.

Adrian J Hare,
QuakerBoy Game Calls
Old 01-25-2005, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had the forcing cone lengthened on two of my guns. It noticably improved the patterning of both of them. They both were older guns. On my primary gun, that and a new choke tube improved my pattern by 30-40 %. I still don't shoot over 40 yd.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had mine lengthened, and love the benefits as well.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:24 PM
Dominant Buck

I sent my older Benelli SBE to Ballistic Specialties in Batesville Arkansas to lazer port the barrel and extend the forcing cone. I did this to ease the recoil especially when shooting 3 1/2" turkey loads. I don't think it affected the pattern that I noticed but it did tame the kick by alot.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:54 PM

Man BT I think you missed your calling. You should of been a writer for one of those big named turkey hunting magazines like Turkey and Turkey call or something I think

All kidding a side you know your stuff...