Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Winter Turkey Season

Old 01-12-2005, 08:07 AM

Default Winter Turkey Season

I am stationed on Fort Campbell, KY and we have been blessed with a winter turkey season (beardless birds only) that runs from Jan 15 through the end of the month. I know a general area where I will be able to find birds, but I'm simply at a loss as to the best way to hunt these birds. Outside of the Spring season, I am lost. How do I call during the winter and how might the winter weather affect the birds. I know the flocks are generally huge this time of year. I need some help. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:57 PM

Default RE: Winter Turkey Season

Hey KRY22,

My name's John, also stationed at ft Campbell Ky and a turkey hunter myself. I am facing the same dilemas as to where and how to get these birds. However, I can help you out with this. During the deer season I noticed huge flocks of birds on areas 19 and 32. one of the flocks contained no less than 30 birds, at least that's where I lost count due to how fast they were coming out of the roost. They are out there and are working those corn fields to no end. so, unless I get some more info on them, I'm just gonna try to camp out early on the edge of a corn field. also if you want to contact me by e-mail it's [email protected]
Old 01-12-2005, 06:43 PM

I was out duck hunting in 33 last weekend and I heard an enormous amount of birds coming off the roost. I talked to a few guys and was told to find em, bust up the flock, then sit down and call them back in. I may try that, but I may just try to put on a stalk. That sure is a lot of eyes to try to fool though.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:40 PM

How was the duck hunting on 33? I've hunted 19 this year and we only got one bird, A hooded mergander, other wise we see them flying by but never try to land.
also on the turkey note. 33 is just west of 32 seperated by mormandy loop. the birds I saw were not to far from that crossroads and come to think of it, they were in pine trees near a swampy area just like a couple of the other guys on here told me. I'm thinking the best strategy is to find the roost, figure out where they fly down to, then sit and wait.
as far as calling. turkeyhunter15 said that a kee kee is capable of drawing them down and a lost hen could work. I think that would be best if you scatter the flock.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:04 AM

I think that was me that helped you retrieve the merganser by pushing the sheet of ice from the other side to you in 19.

33 has been spotty. In 4 hunts I have managed a canada goose and a mallard hen. Not much action. I think a lot of birds are still up north.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:42 PM

Hey sir, how goes it? yep that was us in 19 when it was trying to thaw out. Fancy that I would bump into you in here.
Any how, I locked into area 32 for saturdays turkey hunt. I'm hoping to do good by working that corn field where I saw them fly down that day. the open areas for saturday are...13,22,24,26,28,32,33,34,and 40.... if you can get back into 33 where you saw those birds you should do good by hanging at the edge of the field they flew into.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:53 PM

It is a small world. I actually did get into 33 for turkey on Saturday. You uncovered my plan exactly. Good luck to you!