Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

attracting turkeys

Old 12-23-2004, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default attracting turkeys

last year was the first year that turkey hunting was allowed near my folks house. i have been seeing some birds this fall about a mile or so down the road from their place. they are feeding in the cut corn fields. i know that come springtime, they should scatter, and hopefully come near their house, but rarely do we see sign. i have a small area, maybe a 1/4 of an acre, that i plan on planting in the spring, but haven't decide yet what to put in to keep them around. the area is in the woods, mostly maples, decent light and drainage. we feed the deer throughout the winter, but have never had birds come in, and may never because odf the cornfields. any ideas? and what can i plant to get them in for May, the ground will probably still be cold and wet by then here in vt.
Pat
Old 12-23-2004, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: attracting turkeys

Pat , you could plant Corn and leave it standing , or Chufa maybe or White Clover. The birds stick to corn and will still be around it in the spring because it a food sorce, If you have the room , standing corn will work for winter feed and spring aswell...BT
Old 12-24-2004, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: attracting turkeys

Around here, as soon as it starts greening up in the spring, the turkeys abandon the old corn fields and head for the clover or alphalfa. Even in the woods, their crops are full of green vegetation in the spring. If you can get some clover planted, it should last a couple of years anyway. Try dormant seeding. Lay it down while the ground is frozen. The freezing and thawing works the seed into the ground and cracks the seed coat. As soon as it warms up in the spring, it should pop up.