Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Don't clucks sound like putts?

Old 12-21-2004, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Don't clucks sound like putts?

I have been told to cluck, but not putt. My buddy who does good calling in says the two most needed calls in getting a gobbler to come in are yelps and clucks. But when I listen to audio segments on the web of clucks, they sound like the audio samples of putts to me, which are danger calls. When I cluck, should I lightly yelp on top of them to assure gobblers it is a cluck and not a putt? What is the difference so I can avoid putting when I am trying to cluck?

Thanks!!!
Old 12-21-2004, 08:05 AM

Default RE: Don't clucks sound like putts?

From what I understand and have seen the putt is a little sharper then a cluck. The biggest difference is the turkey’s body language. With a cluck the turkey is relaxed, with the putt the turkey is in alter mode and looking for danger.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

OK. I'd hate to be yelping in a gobbler, and throw in a few clucks for good measure to draw him into view for a shot, etc. only to have him alarmed by what sounds to him like a putt and never make it into view.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rythem is the difference. But on the most part a Wild Turkey will not take off anyway because they do sounds so close. I've had birds alarm in a setup and turn and start to walk away and I started Putting back and added Clucking along with it and they have turned around and came back in. Listen to it again , you will notice the Rythem of the calls are different...BT
Old 12-21-2004, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

i was told that a putt is a single cluck basically, but shorter/quicker.....i wish i could describe it better.... do 2 or 3 in a row, lol.....i'm just dont sayin' what i want to say, lol.....
Old 12-22-2004, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Come on Ma We know you know what ya mean Like Adrian said the single notes are very similar but it's the rythem that sets them apart.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

i know y'all know
Old 12-23-2004, 08:52 AM

When in doubt, stick to yelps.

Hal
Old 12-23-2004, 09:51 PM

There are times where yelps just don't get the job done. Especially on those pressure birds later in the season. Clucks and purrs are the way to go then. Those are content feeding turkey sounds. Throw in some leaf scratching and that'll often seal the deal for an old wary toms after he's been hunted a bit already by all those yelpers.

Borch
Old 12-23-2004, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Adrian's right, rhythm is the thing that really sets them apart. Another word to describe it is attitude. A turkey (especially a hen) clucks when it wants to get another turkey's attention or let them know where she is. It is relaxed or maybe curious. He/she putts when he is alarmed. There is urgency to it ... and it gets softer with each putt --'cause he's leaving! Also, when he putts, that's ALL you hear. There are no yelps or purrs or gobbles mixed in. You may hear just 1 putt or you may hear 5 minutes of nothing but putts. But, believe me, when you hear a putt, you'll know it!

Quick Reply: Don't clucks sound like putts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.