Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

choke / shot testing

Old 03-03-2002, 12:28 PM

Default choke / shot testing

How does everyone afford to test multiple choke tubes and shell combos? at $25+ for a choke and $8-$10 a box of shells if would add up quick for a new guy getting into the sport.

Any info to narrow down the choice would help. I have a 3 1/2" Browning BPS.

Also what is the best and cheapest way to camo my gun? Any advantages or disadvantages to the various systems?

Thanks
Old 03-03-2002, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: choke / shot testing

I too have a 3 1/2" BPS with a 28" barrel. I shoot Winchester Supreme 2 ounce and 2 1/4 ounce #4's. I shoot a Pittman ported turkey choke....constriction of .670. I know several people who shoot a BPS, and all get good patterns from the Winchesters. I'm getting ready to order some ammo from nitro and I may go ahead and order the rhino choke as well. Their web address is:www.nitrocompany.com
Old 03-03-2002, 02:01 PM

i would go with the same shells as vahunter. as for the camo i dont really think its nessisary unless your gun has a shinny finish. people have been killing birds for years without camo guns so its not like it is a must have to be succesful. in the end its your choice about the camo but in my mind its just a waste of money.
Old 03-03-2002, 05:04 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-03-2002, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

you can send your gun to a company in virgina to get dipped. it costs about $180 and you pick from about 8 different patterns. The camo won't let the gun rust or corrode and it doesn't peal off either.
Old 03-03-2002, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally don't think camo is necessary either. The BPS I have is completely matte black and it has worked well for me in the past. I believe the link I supplied earlier also does camo finishing. I have used strips of camo tape in the past but that can be a little messy. If your gun has a matte finish I think you'll be fine.
Old 03-03-2002, 06:57 PM

VAHUNTER,

If your ordering some Nitro ammo they will do mixed boxes for you so you can find out what your gun/choke likes and then order from there without have to buy several 10 packs of shells. Just a way to try out more ammo w/o all the expense.
Old 03-03-2002, 08:21 PM

me & my buddies buy a few boxes & all pitch in. as far as chokes....I can't afford to keep trying new ones. my old hastings works just fine for now. I like the camo clad camo, it looks good & works better than tape.

Old 03-03-2002, 08:25 PM

i heard bug spray will mess up that dipped finish that trebark does
Old 03-03-2002, 08:34 PM

Me and my buddies always get together and have a patterning session at the beginning of each spring. Usually each of us has a different choke tube, so if we like the results with one we can go buy that choke. Each of us buys a couple boxes of shells and we all trade around and shoot multiple shells until we get a desired pattern. Its fun and it saves alot of money.

My 870 came with a advantage timber finish already painted on there and it looks really good and won't chip or come off at all. Black and wooden stock guns with dull finished work fine in the woods, but i've heard of the shiny finished guns being seen by turkeys if the sun is shining down on them. You can also by a gun sock and cut slits in it where needed to cover your gun, or by camo kits at your local sports store that work really well and won't leave a sticky substance after you peel them off.