Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Fall Turkey Strategy

Old 09-12-2004, 07:39 PM

Default Fall Turkey Strategy

what is the best way to hunt for fall turkeys in pa, nj, and de during the fall season. can u call them in??? decoys??? what works???

thanks in advance
Old 09-21-2004, 04:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Fall Turkey Strategy

Scouting is a big plus. Knowing where there R roosted birds, u can do one of two things, bust them off roost, scattering them, or u can set up a blind nearby and hope to be in thier way and influence with some mimmick calling! Without knowing where birds R roosted, moving around until u find them is your only option! Use kee-kee often because a hen can't resist helping a lost bird, giving away the location of her and her young'uns!
Old 09-23-2004, 05:59 PM

I agree with Turk2di, thats good advice. Just remember, your ears are your best asset.Look, listen, listen, listen, then make your moves...Its just awsome bustin a flock in the fall woods then workin em! We've got lots of experience here in western Pennsylvania. Now i'm syched up too
Old 10-04-2004, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

The great guys here helped me several years ago. ....they told me to find where the birds are roosting and go in the dark and bust them off their roost..... they scatter and come sunup will come back to their roosting area and try to regroup.... setup there .... I add a little calling to bring them in also....... and my chances have greatly improved..... I accidently on my way to my stand in the dark busted a flock off their roost.... if you dont know they are there and they bust out of the tree's in the dark it can really startle you[8D] .... I did this and was able to get a tom at 45 yards but opted not to take the shot..... my shot comfort zone is 30 yards........ but WHAT A BLAST..... Many Thanks to all the great folks here that taught this trick to me!!!!!
Old 10-04-2004, 10:14 AM

Scout, scout, scout. If you can find a roosted flock in the A.M., try mimicing the lead hen with your calling as they come down. They are very vocal at this time and if you get the lead hen fired up, the whole flock will come in. Shooting your bird will scatter the flock quite nicely, then you can call birds back for your buddies. Younger birds tend to go straight up into the trees when busted, so you have to move out of their line of sight to call them down.