Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Two young to hunt

Old 07-27-2004, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Two young to hunt

How young is to young??? Was watching the Outdoor channel this week end and couldn't believe how young these little kids were that were turkey hunting for the first time... They couldn't of been more than 6-8 years old.

They were killing turkey like it was nobodys buisness. I know these kids were hunting on some prime private property and that there was not much skill involved with them killing these turkeys. But I still think they need to be a little older maybe around 10 to 11 years old...

Anybody agree or disagree???
Old 07-27-2004, 02:38 PM

Default RE: Two young to hunt

I started hunting with my Dad young around 5 or 6, was the year after that that I got to shoot a gun Dad carried it, then the year after that he bought me my Rem 1100 Lt 20. Some funny stories in there along the way, thank the Lord he had the patientance to keep takin me.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think 10 is a good age for alot of kids but for some I don't think 40 would be old enough.Depends on the kid and I still think it should be left up to the parents to decide if their son or daughter is old enough.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

i seen shows like that....liek the realtree guys kid was 6 and already had a grand slam or was working on it or something.....at 6 i didnt know anything about hunting or guns even though i was shooting once in a while and in the woods once in a while with dad.....i didnt know how deadly a gun was.....didnt know what i was doing.....glad theres an age limit of 12 here....i think 12 is about right for MOST....some are ready younger....but some will never be ready........
Old 07-27-2004, 11:29 PM

Heck I Wasnt Interested In Huntings Till I Was 11 .
I Think 12 Yrs Old Is A Good Age. You Take Hunters Safty At 12. You Must Hunt With Parent Until 14 Then You May Hunt Alone.
Thats Way It Is Here. And I Agree With It 100%
Also I Think That It Depends On The Childs Maturaty And Safty.
Cory
Old 07-28-2004, 05:20 AM

That's a tough question, I was probably 12 when I was first let have a gun in the woods, but I think it depends on the kid, I recently helped at a Jakes Day event we put on and some of those younger kids used and handled the weaponry better than some Adults I've known. So I really think it's an indivdual thing parents need to conclude on a case by case basis.

I hope my Daughter is huntin'with me before too much longer...
Old 07-28-2004, 08:53 AM

I Started both my boys when they were 8 years old both baged gobblers and bucks there first year. My boys are now 19 and 21 years old. They still love hunting and both boys are 100% on gobblers and Deer since they started hunting in ohio. Those guys that complain about the age are the guys that don't have kids or are the ones that won't take the time to take there kids hunting or teach them anything. If you would have seen my boys faces when they first scored and how excited they were you would have knowed how proud I was of them.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:56 AM

If a kid can handle a gun he can hunt no matter how old they are. An adult will be with them for that is the law and for safety. Kids are the future of are sport.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:17 AM

Depends on the kid. I didnt start until I was 12. I wanted to start when I was 7 when I shot my first 12 guage. You have to determine not just the childs age but his/her personality, maturity, skill level etc. I truly believe i could have started easily at 7 years old. My youngest son is dying to go right now and he is only 3. Hes an awesome shot with a BB gun.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it totally depends on the person. Some kids can handle it and some just cant at really young ages. You just have to try to read how the kids or doing.

Quick Reply: Two young to hunt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.