Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Decoy Placement

Old 07-05-2004, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default Decoy Placement

I was just wondering what everybody's favorite decoy etup was for turkeys. Mine personally is a hen breeding with a jake. What is yours ???
Old 07-05-2004, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Decoy Placement

i have a jake and 2 hens.....sometimes i might just bring in 2 hens, even one, but most of the time it's a jake and 2 hens........
Old 07-05-2004, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

i took some advice a few years ago to give a gobbler what he wants in the spring plain and simple.i put out a lone hen and that tactic has not failed me yet.it also gives you alot more room in your vest.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:47 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-06-2004, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good club to join BB!!!!I might use a jake and hen the first 3 days of the season,depends on if they have established dominance yet.The rest of the season they go back in the closet!!!
Old 07-06-2004, 06:33 PM

I'd be curious to take a poll of decoy users vs non decoy users. From what I understand---they will be legal here in Alabama next year for the first time. I was certainly thinking of adding some decoys to my bag of tricks---but would love to hear some decoy user feedback---both positive and negative. I find it interesting that most all turkey hunting videos use decoys. So far I have been lucky enough to take 11 longbeards in 4 seasons without them.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:36 PM

I rarely use them. And rarely feel they are needed to get the turkey in.

My experience is that they spook too many turkeys. I guess if I field hunted all the time I might want to use them some.

Hal
Old 07-14-2004, 02:28 PM

If I use a decoy(s), I put it/them at a 45 degree angle to where I want to set up so if the tom comes straight at me he won't peer over the decoy(s) and possibly pick me off. Just a little insurance from an animal that has x-ray vision!
Old 07-15-2004, 03:18 AM

this is for spring hunting in nw missouri. for the record, i'd rather go out without a call than without my dek. that big ol boy is looking for that lovesick hen that you are trying to sound like. when he hears a hen and sees a hen, all is right with the world, and he's not looking eyeball to eyeball with you. for placement, i step off about 20 yards, place one hen dek past where i think the tom will be coming. my boy took one during the mo youth season within 20min of set up. i took mine within 30min during the regular season. i have had a lot of success with deks and couldn't imagin hunting spring birds without one.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I find Decoys a 50-50 chance. Sometimes they work and some they don't. This past season the wife and I had a decoy out on a field edge and call 2 longbeards from a way off across the field, the birds hungup at 50 yards 20 yards from the decoy. That was it I kicked the dam decoy all the way to the truck![:@]

Now on another note , I've had a decoy setup with 6 different ones this season in the same area , and walked away after a couple hours to find when I returned a Tom gobbling right in the decoy spread.

As for this past season , I did kill far more birds with out decoys then with.

I have this thought after this past season that any Callers that are aggressive maybe better with out decoys , as the Gobblers tend to move into the sound of the hen because of excitment. If your a less suttle Caller and tend to sit and watch , a decoy may work better in your case.

There's something about decoys that seems to draw in Hunters for that added reasurance that One thing may work just a little bit better to your advantage...BT

Quick Reply: Decoy Placement

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.