Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

fall turkey hunting tactics

Old 07-04-2004, 02:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default fall turkey hunting tactics

was passed over on a permit last fall,hoping this year will be my first fall hunt.just curious guys,for all of you that have hunted fall turkeys,how successful have you been through the years?have you busted flocks,set up a ambush?any success with decoys and if so what kind of spread?how would you change your calling tactics depending on the makeup of the flock?are locaters effective?i know the land but will not have a chance to scout prior to the hunt.one thing for sure,im very excited about the challenge.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: fall turkey hunting tactics

Tim.
I've fall hunted turks for years and thourghly enjoy it!I mainly target the younger birds this time of year because I enjoy the amount of activity you get out of a good bust!I will target the whole flock first by either calling or reading sign!Most cases these young groups of birds can be very patternable this time of year feeding and watering consistently in the same spots daily!Using yelps and lost calls often times these flocks will come in to check out whats up and present you with a shot opportunity other times they wont,and than its time to put yourself in a position to break them up!Personally one of the most effective ways to harvest these young birds is bust em up out of the roost.Either the night before you hunt or before flydown the next morn!Set-up close to the roost in the direction they flew out and I'll garruntee come daylight these young birds will start screamin!Use lost calls to talk em in usually these birds will return to the break-up point!I've sat in 1 set-up before and harvested as many as 5 birds in the same spot with these birds continuing to return trying to regroup!!Good luck hope it helps!!!
Old 07-07-2004, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: fall turkey hunting tactics

i like fall hunting a whole lot more than spring because they are in big flockes rather than just a couple together. i usually hunt them with bow but every once in a while i pull out the ol winchester 1300 but hey good luck in drawing a tag this year!
Old 07-07-2004, 04:07 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]