Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Shot over 40 yards

Old 07-01-2004, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shot over 40 yards

I have patterned a lot of turkey guns and I my self have 3. Two Rem one NEF 10ga... I have prob bought 10 chokes over the years and have not found a combo that will shoot past 45 yards. I read these post from guys saying that they shot birds 50 55 60 yards and I really have a hard time believing that these guys are killing turkeys that far away...

Anybody else out there shoot a lot of guns and see the same thing that I see. Just curious
Old 07-02-2004, 01:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shot over 40 yards

Ken, I stretched one shot a few years ago while shooting those Winchester HV's #5's. I almost lost that bird by trying it though. Never tried testing the Nitro's loads at that distance. Just curious, maybe next spring when patterning my gun again, I'll be sure to try some at a farther distance just to see what they can do. After that almost one mishap, I now limit my shots to 40 yards max.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:43 PM
Spike

I agree with you Mr. Longbeard. I hunt with four others and before season starts we pattern our guns very year trying new chokes and loads looking for that perfect combo. Four different guns Remington 870, Winchester 1300, Stoeger Auto, and a Benelli SBE. none pattern well-passed 40 yards. We’ve been doing this for a number of years and I think over that time we’ve tried just about everything you can buy off the self at any sporting goods store. I wouldn’t trust a 45-yard shot with any of the guns.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:28 PM

I shoot my gobblers under 30 yards. Those guys that say they killed there bird at 50 yards are the same guys who shoot 200# deer. There in dream world.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those guys that say they killed there bird at 50 yards are the same guys who shoot 200# deer. There in dream world.
It's not impossible. Most people dont do it, but it happens.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ken,no doubt about it turkey huntin for most of us here is a up close and personal sport!!The thrill of the hunt is foolin a longbeard in close and NOT neccassarily seeing how well our so called turkey gun can pattern on a gobbler out there at unethical downrange yardages!Yes I've seen some incredible patterns past 50 yards and yes I've even killed birds past 50 but to make it habit forming to me,"makes light of the sport and in my opinion shows alot of inefficiencies in ones character as a turkey hunter"!
Old 07-02-2004, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I gotta agree.Callin em in close is what it's all about.Over the years I've passed up alot of shots that were maybe's but I just didn't feel comfortable takin it.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I took a bird in 2003 at 48 yards (lazer rangefinder after) that hung up at a fence with Hevi shot reloads. I have tryed the Rem. 1 5/8 load on paper both will do the job with the right choke if you don't choke. But I perfer it like this year 12 yards!
Old 07-04-2004, 09:16 PM
Spike

I shot a good tom this yaer at 40 yrds. He just wouldn't come in any closer. Had a good clear shot down a dirt road. I took him as he started to go for the woods. I was using a 12ga over & under, full choke and 2 3/4" #4s. It shoots a good pattern at 30 yrds, but I knew it was going to be stretching it at the 40 yard mark.

I ran up to him and when I poked him he stood up. I gave him a few seconds to see what he was going to do, then finished him off. I think I was lucky. If he had been any further out I would have had to let him go.

50 yards is way too far for a 2 3/4" shell and a stretch for a 10ga. even with mag loads.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:14 PM

the people that don't believe that there are choke tubes that can take turkeys over 40 yards are either; 1] OUTDOOR WRITERS,2]PEOPLE WHO TALK ABOUT TURKEY HUNTING BUT KNOW NOTHING ABOUT IT,3]PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN THE PAST WITH GUNS HANDED DOWN BY THEIR FAMILY OR PURISTS THAT SET THEIR OWN STANDARDS FOR EVERYONE ELSE TO FOLLOW RIGHT OR WRONG.

Quick Reply: Shot over 40 yards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.