Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Shot over 40 yards

Old 07-09-2004, 12:33 PM

Default RE: Shot over 40 yards

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

hawglips whats the deal on never killing a deer. To me deer and turkey hunting kinda go together. I dont think I've ever met someone that hunted turkeys and didn't hunt deer...
I grew up in the swamp country of northeastern NC hunting quail, dove, ducks, geese, rabbit and squirrel. Deer hunting in those parts was a matter of parking the trucks around the block of swamp woods you were going to let the dogs loose in, and talk to each other on CBs and wait for the winded deer to come running out. Never appealed to me at all. Watching pickup trucks chasing deer across those huge fields was a turn off too. We would always try to find somewhere else to hunt when deer hunters were anywhere in sight. Not knocking it, just explaining. I was an adult before I ever knew people that hunted deer in tree stands.

I'd rather spend what few days I have to be out in the woods in the fall and winter hunting quail, waterfowl, or scouting new turkey holes.

One of these days I might take up deer hunting. My boys have been a couple times, but never killed anything. Maybe if they ever get into it as they get older I'll start to take an interest in it.

Hal
Old 07-13-2004, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

While I try to limit my shots under 40 yards, I have taken turkeys out to 55 yds. But I shoot my gun in NWTF sanctioned turkey shoots at 3" circles at a measured 40 yds. I know what it can do. Even though I know what it can do I have passed shots inside 35 yds. The fartherest I have seen a turkey killed was 63 yds. my buddy misjudged the yardage. And when we measured it, it was 63 yds. with a Knight TK 2000 muzzleloader.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:28 AM

ORIGINAL: Buckslayer1

I shoot my gobblers under 30 yards. Those guys that say they killed there bird at 50 yards are the same guys who shoot 200# deer. There in dream world.
I wouldn't recomend a long shot at anything unless your very confident in your abilities but a 200 plus shot at a deer is not all that uncommon out West. May not be as much back east but come out this way and look at some of the terrain...you'd end up shootin 200 plus to on occasion. I've done it twice(successful both times) and would do it again if the need arises.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:37 AM

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

hawglips whats the deal on never killing a deer. To me deer and turkey hunting kinda go together. I dont think I've ever met someone that hunted turkeys and didn't hunt deer...
About half of my NWTF chapter's committee was rabid upland birders. Most of them hunt no big game at all, just birds only. They had the exact opposite comment you had They'd never met anyone who hunted big game that started turkey hunting. Then again out here Turkey hunting is as new to us as Elk hunting is to a lot of folks east of the Mississippi.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:11 PM
Spike

Everything you've said I have seen and done, but the fact is, You are right. I couldn't say it any better myself.
ORIGINAL: Bobgobble2

Ken,no doubt about it turkey huntin for most of us here is a up close and personal sport!!The thrill of the hunt is foolin a longbeard in close and NOT neccassarily seeing how well our so called turkey gun can pattern on a gobbler out there at unethical downrange yardages!Yes I've seen some incredible patterns past 50 yards and yes I've even killed birds past 50 but to make it habit forming to me,"makes light of the sport and in my opinion shows alot of inefficiencies in ones character as a turkey hunter"!
Old 07-17-2004, 09:08 PM
Typical Buck

I've shot most of them at about 20 to 25 and a few at 8 to 10yds. I think the part of the thrill is to get them in really close to where you can hear those course feathers dragging and their footsteps. I have shot 2 long range birds...one running at 45 paces and one walking across an old logging road at 50 paces. I don't like to make a habit of it and prefer the short stuff. I shoot a Remington with 3.5" Winchester High Vel Supreme in 6 shot.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:44 PM

I read these post from guys saying that they shot birds 50 55 60 yards
You will hear of shots clean up to when that last pellet has enough energy to enter the eyeball and penetrate the brain. What you won't hear is about all the misses at those ranges.