Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Shot over 40 yards

Old 07-05-2004, 06:55 AM

Default RE: Shot over 40 yards

I don't believe shots should be taken over forty yards...but... Nitro Co. Hevi-shot 4x5x7's will do it!!!! I killed ten birds this past spring and two were killed over fifty yards!!!! (63 yds.....dropped like a rock!!!!) This load shoots so tight in my Browning 3 1/2" Gold. That I can't let them get with-in 30 yards!!! Believe it!!!!! I missed four birds because of the tight pattern!!!
TRY IT....YOU'LL LIKE IT!!!! G.G.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was at my local sporting goods story today to order a rifle. I noticed this guy standing there from Briley(spelling) chokes. Anyhow he went on to tell me about how I could get my gun to shoot out to 50 and 60 yards. They have this new choke out that is pretty awsome. So anyhow I'm a believer now he pretty much told me all the things I could do to my gun to make it shoot better. I will be taking it to my gun smith soon and I'm definetly going to get that Briley choke!!!
Old 07-05-2004, 11:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Apparently you'ins haven't shot my gun. I didn't pull the trigger but I was a camera man on a bird shot with my gun at 55 yards. I killed my bird at just over 40 yards and it's just as thrilling by all means. I'll allow a bird to walk in as close as he wishes and allow him to walk off before pulling the trigger. It's not about killing for me and pulling the trigger is secondary to anything about the hunt and if I decide not to pull the trigger on a bird that is 10 yards, 20 yards or 50 yards, that's my decision and the hunt is specatular in every way on said distances. My gun can do it....and if you doubt it, your welcome to come shoot it. I'd sooner have them at 35 yards than I would 20 cause I do enjoy eating them instead of destroying them.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well said loner and very true!!!Rob great accessment!Once upon a time we were very limited as far as sound ethical shots with our turkey thumpers.Obviousily through modern day technology with not only our firearms(backboring,choke & site systems)and the diversity offered to todays turkey hunter in ammunition,the old stand-by of shots must be taken inside 35 yards is ancient history!!!Theres fellas on this board who have done everything possible to maximize the output of there gun and I personally hunt with a few who have done the same and it would scare you what the performance these type of guns CAN produce!Rob is exactly right it boils down to what you personally want out of the sport and have confidence in!I've already stated for me I like it up close and personal and my equipment suits to that end and gets the job done!
No question its a great thing to see equipment evolve year after year but with that said I have seen good modern day equipment make a turkey hunter become lazy in relying more on his gun and decoy than understanding the art of calling and overall woodsmanship!I've never quite understood the fella that pays hundreds maybe even thousands of dollars to make his turkey gun kill gobblers out to 70 yards yet criticize and look down on those that shoot rifles at turks...maybe in another few years turkey guns will be able to thump a gobbler at 100 yards,I dont know but it all boils down to what you want out of the sport and to each his own!!Sorry guys enough of my rambling but just something to think about!!
Old 07-06-2004, 02:07 PM

thanks for the comments ! any responsible sportsman must know their equipments's capability prior to taking the shot.this is the unwritten code of ethics.it just burns me to see comments that are not founded by facts or common sense but are only opinions or hearsay.i can back my comments with pics and proof,anyone else should be prepared to do the same!
Old 07-07-2004, 12:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Buckslayer1

I shoot my gobblers under 30 yards. Those guys that say they killed there bird at 50 yards are the same guys who shoot 200# deer. There in dream world.

My son killed his first gobbler this year, with a 20 gauge Benelli Nova, Carlson turkey choke, and #5 HeviShot at 55 yds.

That's fact.

He just got a bit anxious and shot way too soon. I gave him a good lecture afterwards, but tempered it somewhat since getting your first is a big deal to me, and he was still somewhat upset about missing one earlier in the week, and too anxious on this shot. I stepped it off to show him how fortunate he was to have killed the bird rather than cripple it, and then showed him the 35 yd mark and reinforced the lesson that 35 yds is as far as he should ever try to kill one with that gun.

My son has never shot at or killed a deer, and neither have I.

Hal
Old 07-07-2004, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

hawglips whats the deal on never killing a deer. To me deer and turkey hunting kinda go together. I dont think I've ever met someone that hunted turkeys and didn't hunt deer...
Old 07-07-2004, 11:19 PM
Typical Buck

My setup is a mossburg 835 12 guage , 24 inch ported barrel, with an comp-n-choke .655. i use winchester high velocities 6's in the 3 and a half inch. I have shot many guns from the super black eagle, to the 870 super magnum, brownings 12 and 10 guages, the list goes on and on. The question is can you kill a turkey at 60yrds? My answer is yes 100%. If you find the right gun and the right choke, put it together with the right loads and you've got yourself a turkey killing machine. Now don't get me wrong, if the shot is not right, or you feel that it's to far, you shouldn't shoot. It comes down to you knowing your weapon and it maximum effective range.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:22 AM

mr lb,here is the site where you can see what you never heard of.
http://www.remington.com/accessories/chokspec.htm
believe it or not ,you will find in life there are a lot of surprising things out there.i am 62 and still learn something every day!
Old 07-08-2004, 09:16 AM

I try to limit all my shots to 40 yards or less. But there are times when that bird just seems a little closer than he actually is. Ive shot at and killed 3 birds over 40 yards. ONe was about 55 yards, another at a little over 50 and this years bird a hair under 50 yards. 2 out of the 3 required follow up shots. I do have a friend that shoots a gun chambered for 3 1/2 inch shells. His 50 yard pattern just about equals my 40 yard. His is actually a little better. Even with the newest innovation in choke tubes and shells, I havent seen any that would, in my opinion, make consistant
killing shots beyond 55 yards. Ive tried alot of them and saw alot of them.

Quick Reply: Shot over 40 yards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.