Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Scored another for Team #8! Pics added

Old 05-17-2004, 04:33 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default Scored another for Team #8! Pics added

Am just plain dog butt tired!

But I shot an Eastermn May 12 and will fill in the details.

Turkey Scoring Calculator

20 lbs 12 oz
spur length 7/8s each side (was a 2 year old)
Beard 9 and 1/4 inches

My score is 20.75 + 8.75 + 8.75 + 18.5 = 56.75

Was one tuff bird to kill..

did scout for my group and 2 of the 3 other guys shot better birds than me!
The other guy ...well we got close.

JW
Old 05-17-2004, 06:37 PM

Default RE: Scored another for Team #8!

nice bird. i havent put one up for us yet.....[][][][X(][X(][X(]..... i probably wont. between baseball and HW, i cant go out for turkey! if anything, i will get out this weekend. that will be just about it.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats again
Old 05-17-2004, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

"Way to Go" JW!..!!!!!.....by the way...I'll be mailing ya the rest of them wing's this week..
Old 05-18-2004, 03:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats JW.Great bird
Old 05-18-2004, 09:05 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Okay da skinny of what we did.
I always go up on Sunday morning to scout where others are hunting before our season. Wisconsin seasons run Wednesday to Sunday.

Sunday Day 1 Scout.
found several other hunters hunting the area we do - good - tells me there are birds there.
Was very foggy. Found a place and had 3 different gobblers light up on their own at 5:03.
Foggy till after 10 am. Scouting was very frustrating not being able to see.
Went to the cabin at 11:30 Am dropped my gear and then ran roads, walked areas until 9 PM.....learned very little and saw very little sign. They did have over 3 inches of rain in 2 hours so washed most sign away. I was very tired and frustrated.
Monday Day 2 Scout
Found that the 1st 3 birds in same general area. Gobbled at 5:07 am. In fact I dound a loner at 4:45Am...Things are looking up other that I saw very few birds using the most common fields I have seen yeares back. SO - I walked out of the way places.....and whala! Birds where there - most in full strut. Most times 1 good tom and one subdominate one which was also a mature bird. Went back to these areas 3 times over thenext 4 hours and developed 2 patterns. I scout for 4 people so I need to find quite a few. Things are looking up.
Two other guys arrive and send them off on a scotuing mission. One guy tells me we definitely have a good bird patterned. Told him it is his.
We take a break for lunch and I continue to run roads - glass and walk fields. I find one other spot.
Tuesday day 3 Scout
foggy again.....but I run roads and have a hard time shock gobbling. But I hear enough that I can send each to an area. The 4 of us actually find one other area that holds promise. This day I walk fence where we stay and fill a shopping bag with Morels! Yum!!
Wednesday - Hunt day.
I leave with my buddy at 4:10 am. We have a short dirve and each of us goes in a different direction. I have a small rag blind set and spend a bit of time brushing this in a bit. I sit at 4:45 and pour a cup of coffee. By 5:10 am hearing nothing I grab the New Quaker Boy Hurricane box call and yelp soflty. Second yelp gets me a gobble about 150 yards away. I know this bird is not alone and uses the field edge I sti each morning.
I wait about 10 minutes and do one more set of yelps - he answers me by the second yelp and so does a hen that is behind me about 60 ayrds. So I let her take over as she is yelping her fool head off. I hear her fly down and cackle and go silent. I yelp a bit more and the tom answers me. Time is 5:20 Am and he is about 90 yards away. I am sitting on the high middle of a 200 acre grass field against a fence line. I have a 40 foot popple tree to my right to block the sun. Since my back was open sitting in my beach chair I hung a rag blind from the fence to block my sillouette.
Time is 5:35 and not Tom?? So I yelp and the cutt....nothing from the direction I last heard the tom. I can see most every direction or at least I thought so. I look straight in front of me and think I see a small deer as it is tan colored. Hell no it is the Tom in full strutt in the morning sun rays.....80 yards out.....he dances for my decoys....I cluck and ourr softly and then he tunrs and moves away from me in full strutt! Dang...did he make me...don't think so. I can see his tail only in strutt about 175 yards out. His fan dissapears but reappears each time I cluck and yelp. This goes on for unitl 6:01 Am. I am ticked off now....thought this was a given.....so I get agressive.....I cutt - cackle and really raise a racket.....he starts in fuill strutt coming back to me. Good - if that what it takes it is okay with me.....each times he stops or starts to come out of strutt I crank him back up. He never gobbles tho.
He gets to about 60 ayrds and I see he is not alone as first seen. He has a hen who is coming my way. I am actually calling the hen to me not the Tom....but he has hen on his mind so follows caus ehe is love struck! Becasue fo the tall grass I can't see the hen until she is 40 out and then there are 2 hens. The y to the fenceline and start to putt as they do not like my decoys or caught my movement - I don't which. But they cross under the fence not more than 25 yards from me. I peek around the tree and there is the Tom out of strutt and wondering what went on. I have sticks stuck out for yardage markes at 40 and he is just beyond that. He looks very nervous....he starts to walk back away and I cluck very softly which stops him. Shot is there but it is just oput past 40. So I sneak the gun along the tree and put the cross hairs of my new Nikon Monarch scope right on his tretched neck. I drop the cross hair to the middle of his bare neck and the rest is history. Down he goes. Time is 6:12 AM and I am done.

But the story does not stop there.

I radio my buddy and he has seen nothing. A few gobbles but not much. I have him psoted about a mile way on a fresh muddy field that is planted. Saw a nice bird that works this field edge on and off during the day.
I go register my bird. Make a few phone calls to get permission to another area I ahve seen 5 toms in and rush back tot he field to call my buddy. One guy form our hunting party has heart problems and can't walk far. So I have just gotten permission for him to hunt the field he can drive to that has had 5 good toms all togther. I am happy.
I pull inot the field to radio him and he is sitting there with all his gear. Blind, decoys, and in hsi chair lookirng rally frazzled. He did have a mile walk and liugged out a 21.75 pound tom to boot. I look at his spurs and they are daggers. He has shot a 4 year old bird for sure.
So back to town to register that bird!
And we go to get our buddy to see how he is doing. He has had a few gobbles but has seen no birds. So I pick him up and we move hime to an old beatr down corn crib. Time is 2:20 PM. Crib is the only sructure and it looks like it is going to rain hard. We palce one decoy for him and start calling him Corn Crib Karl!
but I have seen birds use this area and he does have a handicap permit.
On our way back to camp I tell my buddy we will see him in an hour with his bird!
Well we are sitting on the front porch---trying to cool off and here comes out buddy at 3:20 PM.
He has a grin ear to ear. He saud he went back to the truck for his forgotten gloves. Only about 30 paces and then went back for a popas he was thirsty. He did four sets of calls and for some reason he looked over his right shoulder. There was the Tom in full strutt and was the prettiest bird he ahs ever seen. He watched it dance for his decoy and shot it 21 minutes after we left him.
So our of 4 guys we shot:
mine - 20.75 lbs, 7/8" spurs both sides - 9.25 inch beard (2 year old)
Buddy #1 21.75 lbs spurs where 1 and 1/4 inch per side and sharp - 11.25 inhc beard (to me a 4 yr old!) This bird was a mess - beard and all body was muddy....
Old buddy - 24.50 lbs - 7/8s and 3/4" spurs - beard 10.5 inch and one of the nicest fullest beards I have seen. (but a 2 year old)

Behind them is the outhouse to which Ihave a mouse in the unides story.....but we will save that for another time!

3 out of 4 the 1st day.......tho we worked for the last guy and we did get close - he did not connect.

So we shot birds according to ur age!
The older you are the bigger the bird.

JW
Old 05-19-2004, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats JW. I love hearing about people having success.