Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey Hunting Blues

Old 05-10-2004, 01:08 PM

Default Turkey Hunting Blues

I have only been Turkey Hunting a couple of times. I went last Friday near Possum Kingdom Lake in nortwest Texas and managed to call in a Jake being chased by a REAL nice Gobbler. I had the gobbler strutting at 10 yards. I was shooting through some cedar brush with a Remington 1100, 26" improved cylinder barrel, with 2 3/4" 4 shot. I now know that was a mistake. When I shot, the turkey wobbled around and then flew off. I don't want this to EVER happen again. Any advice on gun brand, type and shot size would be appreciated. [:@]
Old 05-10-2004, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Turkey Hunting Blues

improved cylinder barrel
Theres one problem. Use at least a full choke and make sure it patterns good.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would second that , also the 2 3/4 shot is a little sketchy , i would go nothing less then a 3 inch mag. turkey load out of a FULL choke , then you should have a better chance.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:51 PM
Typical Buck

Is MOD choke alright? Winchester Ranger 12 GA, with 2 3/4" no room for a choke on end..?
Old 05-10-2004, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

I had the gobbler strutting at 10 yards. I was shooting through some cedar brush with a Remington 1100, 26" improved cylinder barrel, with 2 3/4" 4 shot.
Even with an IC choke and 2 3/4" shells, you still should have bagged this bird. How thick was the cedar brush that you were shooting through. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't advocate using an improved cylinder for turkey, but I've taken several birds up to 35yds with 2 3/4" shells. This sounds, to me, like a poorly placed shot and shooting through too much brush and maybe a case of Gobbler Fever. You said that you are new at turkey hunting, it is very important that you know the limitations of your gun and only take CLEAR shots. No Matter What.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

10 yards is an easy miss though....so close the patterns pretty little.....even from an loose choke....and i know from expirience.....we had a crippled goose ones that couldnt fly but could walk....and wouldnt let us get close enough to grab it but was hit hard enough it was going to die....they sent me out to take it out.....i was about 10yards from it.....and shot it just like a turkey.....with a big steel shot throguh a mod choke i think.....you could see where the pattern hit......took the top of its head clean off in a nice circle.....leaving the eyes and the bottom bill.......rest was gone......so maybe you missed because he was too close and you were a bit off.....or it was too thick and most of your shot didnt make it.......i know thats not the sporting way to kill geese.....but i think i did the right thing....it was going to die....you could tell......but it wouldnt let us near it to grab it....so i did what i thought was the best and only thing to do......better luck next time......a 2 3/4 inch shell will work fine out to 30 35 yards.....just dont push it to the limits....try to get them within 30 or so....i heard of many many guys using a 20 ga out to 35yds.....killing every bird they shot at cleanly.....but your choke will give you trouble....you need atleast a full or a good turkey choke is better......buy a few diffrent turkey loads and spend some time at the range....learn your gun.....find what patterns the best.....and learn your limit with that pattern....you may just had a really crappy pattern too.......good luck.......
Old 05-11-2004, 08:36 PM

shoot remington hevi-shot 3 1/2 in. shells they pattern well at 45-50yds...
Old 05-11-2004, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

A modified choke is even pushing it. I'd say at least a full, or better yet an X-full turkey choke. I'd use 3" shells or 3.5" 2 3/4 can work though. I like hevishot from remington but it would be a good idea to pattern your gun with different loads first and decide what patterns best. It would really be best to pattern out to 40 yards or so to see what kind of a pattern you're getting at that distance.