Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Great Experience Yesterday. Questions.....

Old 05-05-2004, 12:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Great Experience Yesterday. Questions.....

You guys heard him gobbling before you set up if I read your post correctly. I would have put myself between the Tom & my decoys & made him walk by me to see his hens.
That's a great idea. I wish I would have thought of that beforehand. Thanks. And yes, we heard him before we set up. And yes, we put the decoys between ourselves and the Tom, probably about 15 yards.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:11 PM

Just to add to the facing the decoys so he will go infront of them. Thats what I did yesterday. I had a jake sneak in and go right infront of them and gobble and half display. Not sure why this was his chosen action since my jake decoy was breading the hen decoy but he did infact go directly infront of them.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

Bob,

You asked me, so here goes. The first thing I did (which is what you should have done[:@]) was check the Peak Turkey Gobbling Dates Chart on my site, to see when peak gobbling occurs, and when the gobbling lull / peak breeding occurs in your area.

That told me the toms might be in a gobbling peak in your area now; which usually means they are looking for hens. If the toms are with hens, they don't have to gobble.

One of the guys mentioned subdominance, which, in the case of turkeys, is what this bird was. If a tom is by himself, he is in effect subdominant to larger groups of males. So, he may be leary about coming in to any group of turkeys/decoys. He also may be hunter/gun shy if your season has been open any length of time.

Your setup was good, but might have been better in a smaller area, where the decoys couldn't be seen so far. I also like to put the decoys off to my shooting-side or behind me, that way when a bird hangs up he may be in range.

As to calling, get a moputh diaphragm, so you don't need your hands to call. And, if a particular call doesn't get a bird to come in, try something else. I'd probably have tried a series of loud Assembly Yelps or Lost Yelps. If that didn't work I'd try soft clucks, purrs and whines.

I think you got one of my books, but I can't remember if it was the ElkWhitetail or Turkey Addict's Manual. You obviously need all of them. And if you read the one you got, you know you are going to learn something by them.

I'm not being notified of this topic, so if you have more questions, join me on my board, my site or e-mail me.

Good hunting,

T.R.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bob,
Always a controversial subject but this is exactly why I gave up decoys consistent to my set-ups years ago.In my neck of the woods I use a jake/hen combination the first week of our season on flocked birds still establishing dominance,which usually is the case around these parts.Its common to have multiple grouped 2 year olds come a runnin to kick butt on that ole buckwing jake deke that 1st week!After dominance is established,and breeding begins as T.R. pointed out my dekes go back into the closet for another year.One on one I want that gobbler looking for me and not my plastic hen.If you wouldn't of had dekes out I'm sure that gobbler wouldv'e kept coming looking for that hen he heard earlier!If he's coming I remain quiet and let him hold the line!Experience has told me you dont need a decoy out to let a gobbler no where your at.A gobblers ability to pinpoint sound at great distances is incredible and I like to use that to my advantage instead of giving myself up using a deke!If he gobbles at your calls more often times than not he knows where you are.The only other thing I would've possibly done different is like S&R set-up closer.The shorter the distance he has to travel the less chances there are in things to go wrong,terrain,hens,hunters,etc..and on a bird like this particular one often times the only thing you end up seeing is a gobblers head just taking a peek!!
Old 05-06-2004, 09:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys. I have another question for you. Do you think that since this bird was a subdominant bird, the bird that I heard gobbling was a different bird?
Old 05-06-2004, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very possible,but the way in which this bird came in I dont think there was another bird!This is exactly how alot of satelite gobblers will approach a set-up.They gobble sparingly and more often times than not come in silent!
Old 05-06-2004, 10:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with others about the use of decoys, especially in a wooded setup....let the bird come look for you. Also learned that the hard way early on...they'd come, see the dekes, go into full strut and hang up and wait.....TR also made a good point about putting the dekes to one side allowing the tom to possibly be in range when the bird hangs up on dekes..or like mentioned, leave them in the car....now in field setups, I like dekes on occassion.

TR also mentioned another good point, get and learn the diaphram unless you've been there, done that and can't....there are also alternatives to the diaphram challenged turkey hunters and that would be a push/pull peg button box call like the one on www.rivervalleygamecalls.com that attaches to the barrel of your gun and allows you to have the gun pointed at the bird and still make all your desired turkey calls without the proficiency of using a mouth call.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

One thing I'd probably have done is not called. I usually dont like to call once they're in that close. Unless they aren't going to come in and are walking away. Really there's not much you can do. Sometimes they come in and sometimes they dont.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

TR also mentioned another good point, get and learn the diaphram unless you've been there, done that and can't....there are also alternatives to the diaphram challenged turkey hunters and that would be a push/pull peg button box call like the one on www.rivervalleygamecalls.com that attaches to the barrel of your gun and allows you to have the gun pointed at the bird and still make all your desired turkey calls without the proficiency of using a mouth call.
Rob (or others), a lot of people have mentioned that they will not call if the bird is within eyesight insofar as not giving away their position. One of the things that makes me think about what I did wrong on this bird was the inability to call. But some people mentioned that I should not have called anyway. What do you think?
Old 05-06-2004, 01:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65
Rob (or others), a lot of people have mentioned that they will not call if the bird is within eyesight insofar as not giving away their position. One of the things that makes me think about what I did wrong on this bird was the inability to call. But some people mentioned that I should not have called anyway. What do you think?
Under circumstances when one can see the bird or even know the bird is coming, one doesn't have to call, he's coming.......in your circumstance, he was hung up, he wasn't coming anyway and you have nothing to loose by giving a few seductive soft calls like purrs.....it may be all you needed at that point....if they are coming, let them come look for you.....but if they need a little reassurance....purr or real soft yelps or clucks. At that point you had nothing to loose. Like in my case.....Another PA Success Story..see post.... He was responding great, and coming so I was silent and called only to check on him until I saw him....once I saw him and he was coming I shutup for him to find me......once I saw him head off, I started calling again to keep him located while I moved on him....once I had him committed again and he hung up, I pulled out the MOJO and purred...he stepped out and the rest is...well let's say he'll be on my main beam, half strut gobblin off the limb in about 12-14 months...LOL

Quick Reply: Great Experience Yesterday. Questions.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.