Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Double with nephew (picture link)

Old 05-02-2004, 01:31 PM
Spike

Default Double with nephew (picture link)

To start out I have had an exceptional season even before this last experience. I was able to tag a 2 year old tom the first morning of our 1st season.
16 lbs., thick 9” beard and one ¾” spur and one broke off.I had a couple of close calls trying to get a bird close enough for my nephew 2nd season. I then had an invite to go hunt in Ohio with a guy that I have come to know quite well from work. We scouted on the Saturday and the Sunday before the opening on Monday and did it ever pay off. We started on one side of the road and had no gobbling on our side, don’t understand it because they were definitely there the day before. They were tearing it up on the opposite side of the road so we hiked to a field set out decoys and I made a series of calls and had one light up across the ridge so I waited about ten minutes and tried him again and sure enough he hit it again, I immediately hit him again when a couple more gobbled just to our left. I happened to be turned almost 90 degrees the wrong way and we had 2 jakes and three adults run right into the decoys, I called the shot and had to swing and shoot but no problem, two dead 3 year olds flopping in the decoys.
Mine – 21lbs., 1-1/8” spurs and 9-1/4” beard.
My Buddies – 18-1/2 lbs., 1” Spurs and 10-1/2” beard.

Finally got home after about an 11-12 hour drive and had to check if I was still married.
No problem there (I Love my Wife). My 4th season started the day after I got back from Ohio but I had to take a day off and go back to work. I did go with another good friend just about 10 minutes from my house and he shot a great bird that morning
22 lbs, 1-1/16” Spurs, 9-1/2” beard.
Now to the best part of my season by far. My nephew (14 years old) and I left my house at about 3:45 Saturday morning to drive to some private ground in NE Iowa. We stood at a field entrance and waited for that first gobble. It took a while but we heard two birds close to where I had taken my 1st season bird, and I thought that they were on the same ridge, but come fly down I knew they were not. These were the only birds gobbling on the property so we took off to head them off. I know this ground very well and it paid off. I knew they were in a clearing on top of a ridge, so we hiked down and then up to the same level as they were on (I’ve made the mistake in trying to call birds on this exact ridge down to me and haven’t had very good luck.) We set out 1 jake and two hens and sat at a tree about 15-20 yards back. I made only one series of calls and they boomed back with double gobbles, just over the other side of a hump. I could hear my nephews breathing pick up and I had to tell him to relax and take a deep breath. I too was getting excited also. We finally saw the old white baseball pop over the hump along with another fan. They put on a great show, gobbling, strutting, spitting, drumming the whole nine yards. I had told him to shoot his position earlier and we whispered back and forth until he told me he had a clear shot at the dominate bird that was strutting on his side. I had earlier before I made my first call gotten out the range finder and pinpointed a stump that I wanted the birds to be inside of before we shot. The crossed that line and I counted to three and BOOM, a simultaneous shot and both birds flopped. What a great way to fill my last tag of the season. Many high fives and pictures later we went out and topped off the day by finding a few morels.
Mine – 18 lbs, ¾” spurs and 10-1/2” beard
My nephews – 21 lbs, 7/8” spurs and 9-1/2” beard.
Sorry for the overly long post. Thanks for all your awesome posts, keep them coming.

Link to picture below.
http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php...=500&password=
Old 05-02-2004, 01:38 PM
Spike

Default RE: Double with nephew

I am tring to post some pictures. How do I shrink the picture size down to under 30 kb?
Old 05-02-2004, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

dont know how to make the pics smaller, but congrats on an aweosme hunt[8D]
Old 05-03-2004, 12:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wow, great birds! Congratulations to you both!