Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Never killed a turkey help me out

Old 04-29-2004, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Never killed a turkey help me out

What time is it when they usually fly off the roost. Rainining and not
When I get one to gobble what do I do next
What calls should I start with. Tree yelp, Tree call, etc
After I know that they are off the roost wht combination of calls should I do. cluck, yelp, pur, etc
How exactly do u do a pur on a slate call?
If there are 2 birds stuttin in shooting distance what are the chances that I will shoot one and my papa will get a shot off at the other one?
Any other help would also be appreciated.
Thanks
Trapper_Hunter(Colby)
Old 04-29-2004, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Never killed a turkey help me out

Well since you are new to turkey hunting the best info I can suggest is get out there and watch them, listen to them, and learn by trial and error!!! One very crucial thing to always remember is that a turkey won't do the same thing, they react different every day to a huge variety of variables!

I will try to answer your questions though.........
They usally fly down from roost early after first light, sometimes they gobble on the roost, sometimes they don't. I like to be in the woods way before first light even if I think I know where they are, this way I can sometimes set up accordingly to what I hear in the morning.
I am really big on scouting and TRYING to get some kind of pattern, they usually have a preffered feeding, strutting pattern in the morning.

If I hear them on the roost, I usually do not call to them until they are down, I get comfortable, hope that I am in a spot that they might want to be and then after they are down from roosting I will yelp softly and maybe through in a few cutts, I like to try to feel out the birs personality in how he likes being talked to whether I can see him to watch his actions or tell from his gobbling. Once I find out whether he is interested I might call a lot, a little, or not at all, depending on the feeling I get and how he acts.
To purr on a slate, I make firm football patterns really slow, so the striker kinda skipps along the pattern (hard to describe I guess) kinda like a yelp but slower.

As far as you both getting a shot i have seen it happen if you coordinate it right and you both are "on" the birds.

I wish you luck and just get out there and learn from experience!!!!!!!!!! And have fun without getting disappointed, a botched opportunity is a great learning experience!!!!!(so is a successful one!)
Old 04-29-2004, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Never killed a turkey help me out

Wow!! Boy u sure got some question,lol. However they are all valid question. First question: birds fly off the roost when they can see the ground, if there is fog it may be a lil later. When it rains its about the same time. What u should do is put the birds to bed if u have the time and u dont have a far drive, meaning u find out where a tom or several toms are roosting, they gobble on the roost and u can hear them by using locater calls or just seeing them fly up in the tree. Ive had turkeys roost behind me when im in my deer in the last few minutes of day light. Once u find out what tree they are in or the area u think they are u need to sneak in there in the dark so they cant see u. Get about 50 to 75 yds away and set up your decoys. Start doing some soft tree yelps when the sky turns pink or wait till u hear some hens start doing them first or when the toms start gobbling. Then when it gets light do a fly down cackle, its like a loud series of yelps in row real fast. Then do some light calling, this is when the toms are trying to hook up with a hen and if he is alone he will come in, but dont call to much or sound too excited, because if your so excited he will think if the hen is that hot then she can come to me and he wont come in, hell just stand there and strut. To do a pur on a slate call all you do is find the sweet spot on your call and gently rub the stiker at an angle and make a purr, it take some practice but its east to do. If two birds come in and they are gobbling at each other u can defintley shoot one and your pa can take another one if no one move after the shot. Ive shot one tom and the other will mount the dead tom, thinkin he is mating with a hen, however u have to make a good clean kill where the turkey drops and doesnt take off flopping all over the place or worse get up and tries to run or fly away then the other tom will know something is wrong and he will fly away. If somene tells u turkeys dont fly when there scared, THERE WRONG! So practice your calling and get comfortable with all your gear and always wear a face mask and a hat to cover your eyes, they can see u blink. Let me know if this helps.

"ALWAYS LEAVE THE WOODS WITH SOMETHING"