Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Memorable Hunt

Old 04-27-2004, 02:57 PM

Default Memorable Hunt

This has been a great hunting season in Georgia! I shot my first bird opening morning and he weighed in at 21 lbs. This past Saturday the good Lord allowed me to participate in an unbelievable hunt that landed an 18 lb. bird in my lap. I hunted some private property that I had never hunted before and didn't know what to expect. I set up before sunrise in an open field and as things "livened up" I heard a gobble about 250 yards away along another open field. I decided to move quickly and when I got to the field I found out that the birds were gobbling across the road on another property. Knowing that turkeys will hang up I took a chance and set up under a young oak tree and placed a single hen decoy at 20 yards in front of me. I placed her so she was looking at me. For the next 2 hours I listened to a melody of gobbles coming from across the road. I kept my calling to a minimum and used only soft clucks and purrs. The gobblers weren't responding to my calls so I sat and waited to see what would happen. At 9:10 I decided to stand up and relocate my decoy to a different position and as I stepped in the decoy's direction I saw a hen fly across the road and two fence lines to feed in front of me. I eased myself back to the ground and 5 minutes later another hen flew across and joined the first hen. Thinking that this might get interesting, I sat tight and a little later a gobbler followed their path and landed 125 yards in front of me. He took a look at the live hens and looked in my direction at the decoy. He decided to try his luck on my decoy and moved in my direction. For 20 minutes I had the extreme pleasure of watching this bird walk and strut in my direction thinking the whole time he would go off with the 2 feeding hens. I let him come and did not make another call. At 20 yards I decided to take a shot and dropped the bird in his tracks. The Federal # 6's and the Undertaker choke did it's job. The bird had spurs at 13/16" and 7/8" and a 8.5" beard. If you have ever had the pleasure of watching a tom strut for that long you will know the kind of excitement I was experiencing. On this particular day I was lucky enough to be a part of this hunt. Words can't describe the feelings I had carrying that bird back to my truck! There is absolutely nothing like turkey hunting, I and am glad the good Lord smiled on me this particular morning!!
Old 04-27-2004, 04:07 PM

Default RE: Memorable Hunt

Amen! I'm glad to see that the Lord is still in the blessing business. I have taken two gobblers in North Georigia this season myself. Thanks for post! and Congrats!

Both of the hunts that resulted in downed birds for me this season really worked out like one of those Primos videos. I called, they came, strutted and gobbled. They really put on a show.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Memorable Hunt

Congrats on your birds!!! Sounds like a great year.