Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Timing is everything!!!!

Old 04-26-2004, 07:31 AM

Default Timing is everything!!!!

Ok !!!!

The birds are not doing much in the way of early morning gobbling after they fly down !!! So friday we were going to try a later start to see if they were more active mid day. Sure enough they started gobblin there heads off at 12 noon!!! My huntin buddy set up in the swamp bottoms and call a nice big tom within 30 yards but could not get a clear shot !!! So saturday we decided to try it again!!! But i had trouble sleep in past 4 am !!! So i am sittin around waitin for my huntin buddy to get up when at 5 am there was a gobbler in the oak tree in the back yard less than 50 yards from the house !!!!! My buddy did not want to get after him so he told me to go ahead and he would catch up with me later in the morning!!! So i get down below the gobbler and get between him and the swamp bottom !!! Well sure enough he flies down with in 20 yards of me and heads for the creek !!! I reach into my vest and pull out my slate call and OOPS!!!! I had left my striker up at the house!!! I run back to camp get my striker and head back to the bottoms!!! But i woke up my huntin Buddy to see if he wanted to go !!! He still said no !!! So off i went !!! Well sure enough i get back to my sittin spot and start with some soft yelps and clucks !!! All of a sudden a hen appears to my left She is cluckin at my decoy so i start to cluck back !!! Then the gobbler decided to join us !!!! The gobbler was 80 yards out and the hen was 10 yards to my left she had no intrest in the gobbler and hung out next to me the whole time!!! Well after an hour of cluckin and soft yelpin he started to move in to range He was forty yards out and i had a clean shot !!! But i thaought since he was so responsive to my call i would let him come in another 5 or 10 yards !!! (big mistake) Well as he comes in i get my gun up and hit my safety off !!! All of the sudden the hen to my left takes off and flies right over the gobbler!!! The gobbler breaks out of strut and takes off after the hen!!

So i look to my left and there is my huntin buddy who decided to sleep in!!!!! Comes walkin up to me and wants to know if i had seen anything !!!!! ARRRGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( Unfortunatley my buddy is 80 percent deaf and blind in one eye) So the lesson i have learned is drag your huntin buddy out of bed !!! And shoot the gobbler at first chance !!!
My hunttin buddy felt awful !!! but like i told him !!! I got to watch the bird strut and gobble for an hour and as far as i am concern that is just as much fun as shootin them !!! I did not tell him it was a 24 plus pounder bird biggest bird i have ever seen in this part of the country!!! Still mornings like that make it easier to get up the next morning to hunt !!!
Old 04-26-2004, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Timing is everything!!!!

sounds like you had fun. thats the best part to me to having them gobble strut & drum.