Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Sure wish I was in the challenge now

Old 04-24-2004, 08:23 PM

Default Sure wish I was in the challenge now

After joining last years challenge and getting blanked in IN & PA, I thought why bother and hurt a team getting blanked again, since this is my 3rd season of hunting turkey and still feel that I am some what inexperienced. Opening day was Wed. the 21st and I'm out of the woods by 830am. No sounds, no sightings, and heard no other shots. Waiting back at the parking area for my buddy who went to a different section of the property and by 9 all others are back except one. My buddy and I BS'ed till 1030 when he decided to leave and my plan was to follow. At the last second, I decided to stay and go back out. I went to a spot I thought would be decent. I waited a half hour before calling to give everything a chance to settle down and gave out 2 series of loud yelps with the box call. No more than 2 minutes later, on the opposite corner of this corn field appears a turkey. It's now 1115 and this turkey thats 400+ yds away is starting to cross the field in my direction. Once the bird was within 150 or so yds I could see the beard and I really felt the blood pressure rise as I gave him a call with my mouth call every 10 min. or so to keep him coming. Right at 1155 I squeezed off a shell and dropped him at 25yds. He's 21.5lbs, 3/4" spurs, and 4 beards equaling 19.75". 1 @ 9", 6", 3.5", and 1.25". That was one of the longest and most nerve racking 40 min. in my life and I'm married with kids and been through a war. When I get him back from the taxidermist, I will get pics with my digital camera and post. I only took photos with a regular camera and don't have a scanner. Leave for PA in 9 days, hope I can now double up!
Old 04-24-2004, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sure wish I was in the challenge now

Dang 03a0...."Awesome" bird...Way to Go...!!!!!...Can't wait to see the pic's........Again....Nice Job
Old 04-24-2004, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW!!! 4 beards!! That is awesome!! Cant wait to see the pics. Good luck in PA. Let us know how you do.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

What a terrific story.

A real lesson for all who think if you missed fly down the hunt is over.

congratulations!
Old 04-26-2004, 07:27 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]