Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Anyone carry a wingbone call?

Old 02-17-2002, 04:56 AM

Default Anyone carry a wingbone call?

I am interested in a wingbone call and wonder if any one can tell us about them with some pro's and con's .
Thanks, Roman
Old 02-17-2002, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone carry a wingbone call?

Well i like to use one for a couple of reasons. 1. I hunt public land and not to many people use them so the turkeys dont clam up and run off when i use it. 2. you can really tone it down for close work. 3. I made it my self so it gives me a little more satisfaction when you take a bird with. As for draw backs it is hard to learn how to use one.
Old 02-17-2002, 10:54 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-17-2002, 11:06 AM

I like the wingbone & always carry one with me. I have a real one made from a turkey I killed & I also have a couple of production ones made out of wood & plastic. I also just got the new primos wingbone & like it a lot.

I hunt a lot of public land so it is a sound turkeys don't get used too. I also carry a tube call for the same reason.
Old 02-17-2002, 11:11 AM

A friend of mine introduced me to wingbone calls a few years ago. I love to use one for the same reasons others have stated above, not to mention the old time tradition of the call itself. I used mine after a long day of hearing no gobbles as a last resort while hunting with a buddy a couple of years ago, just before quitting time. The birds had not responded to anything all morning and we had thrown everything in the vest at them, except the bone. Three yelps and an instant double gobble (within 50 yards) later, my friend was hooked on the wingbone too. I made him one, and he drove his friends and family crazy trying to learn to use it, but I would consider him an expert on it now. I won't go out without one now, nor will he. The only down side is it may cost you your marraige learning to use it, but it's easy to make a mistake on if you aren't practiced up on it. Good luck.
Old 02-17-2002, 02:40 PM

I have a wingbone I made from a bird I killed about 20 years ago.
I use it mostly in the fall while deer hunting,just stick it bekind my ear.
it does not haev any bell on it.
it is jut the bone itslef.
it has a different tone than any others,and is good when there are a lot of pressure.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 02-17-2002, 05:01 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-17-2002, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I started carrying one last year. Made it myself. It's not my "go to" call but I have gotten a couple of gobbles out of it. Just one more weapon in the arsenal. No one else in my camp has made one, so it gives me braggin rites. That's cool, I guess.
Old 02-17-2002, 09:32 PM

I usually make a point to carry one. Not too many pepole use them, so that unique sound in the woods is all it takes sometimes to get one fired up.
Old 02-18-2002, 04:03 AM

Thanks everyone. I'll buy the Primo's yelper and start practicing.

Quick Reply: Anyone carry a wingbone call?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.