Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What my daughter got from the Easter Bunny

Old 04-12-2004, 05:12 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What my daughter got from the Easter Bunny

...without any doubt,your starting her off on the right track...good luck..
P.S. As a first time turkey hunter (PLEASE) be carefull,study the safety rules
of turkey hunting...
Old 04-12-2004, 06:40 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-12-2004, 07:09 AM

Sunset

Make sure you park her right next to you when you setup. Here are the rules when I take my young ones:

1. Dad does all the calling!
2. Don't move, if you do, move very slowly.
3. Get the gun up when Dad says too
4. Shoot when Dad says too.
5. Aim at the base of the waddles.
6. Take deep breaths

Kids can get pretty excited when a big tom comes in. They have been with me when I have taken gobblers but...when its their time to shoot things change. They can jump the gun and shoot at the bird to soon. I keep my kids right next to me and if they are little enough, they are in my lap. I always talk to them when the bird is coming in. Communicate quietly back and forth with your daughter. Sometimes kids freeze up and can't get there gun up. Listen to her, ask if she ready! how she feels. When the moment of truth is there
it can get pretty exciting! My kids shoot a single shot 20 gauge so they know they have 1 shot if they miss Dad is going have to get the bird and they do not like that.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:47 AM

Thats great hope you have a great time, I can't wait til my daughter is old enough. A freind of mine and I took his 9 year old on her first Saturday. We called them to with 15 feet, twice. But never a clear shot, either a limb,stump or those EVIL hens[:@] kept getting in the way.None the less she was so excited about the events it didn't matter to her that she got a shot or not. I even think she was more excited than the adults althought that maybe a toss up. I think it is even more fun to call one in for a youngin than it is to call one infor yourself.

Goodluck and be safe.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

First of Sunny,I was a good boy I'll be takin my 12 yr old son Jake out this yr too.He's already taken a fall bird but this'll be his first Spring hunt where he can shoot.Ya know a young hen is called a Jenni and a young gobbler is called a Jake.So either it's a good omen or we both raised a couple of turkeys.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:13 PM

First of Sunny,I was a good boy

Uh huh, I believe ya

I'll be takin my 12 yr old son Jake out this yr too.He's already taken a fall bird but this'll be his first Spring hunt where he can shoot.Ya know a young hen is called a Jenni and a young gobbler is called a Jake.So either it's a good omen or we both raised a couple of turkeys.
I didn't know that about Jenni's name...ty...

and I don't know if our kids are turkeys...but...poor thangs....I'm bettin their parents are LOL