Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Texas Hunt Pics and Story

Old 04-09-2004, 01:19 PM

Default Texas Hunt Pics and Story

I wanted to share one story with you about our Texas trip. My friend has been wanting to try and film a hunt for a year or so with his digital camera. So the first morning the 2 of us set out with this in mind.

We had some interesting things happen, but eventually we found ourselves only a hundred yards away from a gobbling turkey. He would hammer at my box call in the tree for the next 25 minutes as hens called all around us. Finally he flew down into a beautiful oak creek bottom that was clean and open. He would proceed to strut and gobble for the next hour. There was a small rise between him and us and we could only see him when he would strut to the top of this rise. He would display proudly for the fake hens we had set for him, but he wasn't budging and inch.

We were collecting some good footage and I was throwing everything I could at him. Some hens down the creek from us got in a fight and he gobbled so I mocked a fight and he fired back several gobbles but didn't budge. I tried soft talking him with contented clucks and purrs but this just seemed to intensify his strutting and drumming.

After about an 1 1/2 hours I decided to throw a Kee Kee Run at him. This was immediately met by a triple gobble and he marched up on the small rise about 80 yards in front of us. I continued to Kee Kee at him which made him even madder as he came trotting in gobbling every few steps. My friend and I were sitting about 5 yards apart but I just assumed he was getting the bird the whole time. When he finally stopped coming and let out a putt at 25 yards I killed him. I would then find out that just before I shot when he passed behind a tree Spur57 lost him and we missed the kill shot on the video.

That sucked, but it was a great hunt. Hopefully we will do better next time.

Here are the pics of my birds the first one is the bird we almosted filmed.

16.7 lbs, 8 1/2 inch beard and 7/8 inch spurs

17.8 lbs, 8 1/4 inch beard and 3/4 inch spurs

19.5 lbs, 10 1/2 inch beard and 1 inch spurs
Old 04-09-2004, 01:36 PM

Default RE: Texas Hunt Pics and Story

My man you're living the life. Congrats on the hunt and the bird. Next year I'll have the money to do the same.

Spent a week in Alabama hunting that "Eastern". Sure is a Vocal little booger. I was hooked befor but now, I have to revamp the whole work schedule for next year for more, and more feild time.

Keep rocking Ryan.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:52 PM

Way to go Ryan! Some times you never know what might work.
Old 04-09-2004, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

awesome pics , congrats[8D]
Old 04-09-2004, 07:22 PM
Spike

Awesome birds, congrats!!!!!
Old 04-09-2004, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

You da man also.

Gota love texas. I think even I could kill one there
Old 04-09-2004, 08:24 PM

Congrats Ryan!!

By the way, I don’t think I ever said thanks, my wife sent me an autographed copy of your book while I was in Iraq. It was a darn good read and made missing last Turkey Season a bit easer. Keep up the good work Ryan.

AH
Old 04-09-2004, 09:19 PM

No problem! I am glad you enjoyed it. I should be saying thanks to you and all of those who serve our country.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:23 PM
VP

Congrats Ryan, Sounds and looks like you guys a Great Hunt-
I'm leaving for West Tx on Monday hopefully our luck will be as yours was, We've got 5 days of Hunting ahead of us so hopefully we will fill our Tags.
How do you think the birds will be next Week from what you saw>Hopefully we will hit it right.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

>>>> Nice birds Ryan! Had a pretty successful trip to TX myself. Robert and I just got back on thursday. Took two apiece. Give me a call in the ER at New Hanover and we'll compare notes. Check your PM's for the phone #...........

Quick Reply: Texas Hunt Pics and Story

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.