Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Heavy Shot

Old 02-16-2002, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Heavy Shot

What about the new Heavy Shot?
Is it that much better?
Can you shoot it out of lead only choke tubes?
Old 02-16-2002, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Heavy Shot

I think that you have to have a choke just for the heavy shot.
Old 02-16-2002, 09:30 PM

Despite HEVI-SHOTS odd shapes (many of the pellets look like globs and some are shaped like snowmen), the articles are all touting it as the tightest patterning shot made. It's denser and heavier than lead. If you get a chance, read the March, 2002 edition of Turkey & Turkey Hunting and/or the October, 2001 edition of Field & Stream...both had articles on HEVI-SHOT. It set a new record, placing 42 pellets in a 3" cirlce at 40yrds...the previous record with other types of shot was 34 pellets. In tests conducted by Remington, prior to releasing their new HEVI-SHOT loads, a sheet of 24ga sheet metal was placed at 40yrds. Lead loads dented the metal...HEVI-SHOT passed right through...heavier, denser = more down range energy.

I emailed HEVI-SHOT directly. Their representative told me that both the barrel and choke MUST be rated for steel shot in order to safely handle HEVI-SHOT loads. I do know that the new choke that Remington developed specifically to handle their HEVI-SHOT loads has a constriction of .675...pretty open compared to your typical turkey choke, but it works. I would be curious to see a water fowler who has some of the aftermarket, steel-rated chokes, such as Carlson, that are advertised for shots 45+yrds, pattern the HEVI-SHOT at 40yrds. If you've got 'em, let us know.

HEVI-SHOT appears to be DEADLY stuff for gobblers, but it's EXPENSIVE and not compatible with most of the equipment already out there.

Eric
Old 02-16-2002, 10:03 PM

I have a stardot choke tube.I e-mailed them and they said it was ok to use the hevi-shot with this choke.
Old 02-17-2002, 05:56 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-20-2002, 07:57 PM

Nitrocompany makes 10 GA loads with hevishot. I talked to Ray about them and he says the Hevishot as it comes to him will score barrels. I also saw a warning on Remington's hevishot loads that say they will score some barrels. Ray said they (Nitro) are treating the shot with a resin coating and they tested these. They don't score barrels. I would assume Remington is doing the same thing. Note the disclaimer on the hevishot website that clearly says they are NOT responsible for barrel damage... period!

All I can say is... it'll cost me about $300 for a new barrel and until some more research is done, I'm not willing to risk it. I get good patterns from the 3 ounce 10 GA loads already.

No jakes!
Old 02-20-2002, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Around here it is going for 2.50 to 3.00 dollars a pop, I think I will just stick with the old Winchesters for now.