Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Runnin turkeys in mississippi

Old 04-03-2004, 09:15 PM
Spike

Default Runnin turkeys in mississippi

I am hunting in mississippi in the homichitto forrest. Every bird that I Have gotten on in the forrest runs after he flys down from the roost calling or no calling. I have killed lots of birds and this is the first year that I have seen the birds this sciddish. They gobble their heads off while on the roost. I am so confused this year. If it aint the fog its 10,000 other hunters in your spot you've scouted all season long. Is anyone other than me in this situation in mississippi ? can anyone give me any advice to the runners?? Thanks, take care and god bless!
Old 04-04-2004, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Runnin turkeys in mississippi

DON'T YELP!!

Homa Chitto is probably the most pressured area of public hunting in the state! My best advice is to make a trip to Bude, to the National Forest office, and get a map. Then look at the isolated areas on the fringes of the main body of the forest. They all have an access road somewhere. Then do some legwork! Good luck! I've taken some good birds down there -- I just ain't saying exactly where!
Old 04-05-2004, 10:24 AM
Spike

Thanks for the info bearfoot, I have a map and I hunt there regular. You are right it gets alot of hunting pressure there. and the area that I am hunting in clear springs dont get that much pressure. your right also bout the yelp. I am going friday and saturday. I hope to do some new calling teckniques. I have some new areas that I am thinking of going to. I am planning on trying north of hwy 84 in the smaller areas. If you can give me some advice as to what areas are not that overhunted i would apprechate it. If you dont want to put it on here you can e mail em to me @ [email protected] Thanks and good hunting. Take care and god bless!
Old 04-05-2004, 11:00 AM

A good call to use on overpressured areas is leaf scratching only!!