Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Story of My First Bird This Year... The In-Betweener

Old 04-01-2004, 10:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default Story of My First Bird This Year... The In-Betweener

The In-Betweener

By daybreak I had worked my way to a greenfield that is heavily visited by turkeys. I had scouted the area & found this field to be littered with droppings of hens & toms. I had even found strut marks & dusting beds around the perimeter. The Spring woods were coming to life & I was thinking about setting up right there as I had just gotten scared out of my mind by a thunderous gobble a couple hundred yards beyond the field. But experience had taught me better than to take such a foolish position. If he was roosted a couple hundred yards away, I couldn't expect him to sail straight to the field off the limb. It is a fact that toms love to strut their stuff in fields just like the one I was standing in, but it is also a fact that toms can be very impatient. They generally love to hit the ground as close to their roost as they can. They will drop in a road, a gas line/power line, & even in open woods. As long as they can be seen by the hens, they will strut just about anywhere. By the time it takes to get to the field they usually bump into a hen & get side-tracked. There was a ridge line leading from his roosting area to the field. It was open hardwoods & their was a toppled red oak that was a perfect blind & natural funnel. That position would allow me to get "ahead" of the incoming bird & I could still cover half the field with my 3&1/2 inch gobbler-stoppers. I quickly moved across the field & into the woods & set up. I used my slate call & clucked a few times... nothing. I yelped a little with some interrupting, aggressive clucking & he hammered. He was close! I dropped my slate & shouldered my gun. I waited a few minutes & let out 2 or 3 soft clucks with my mouth call. He didn't gobble but I could hear him walking in the leaves. He & 2 others appeared out of nowhere from behind a large tree directly in front of me moving slightly left to right. How did I know which was mine? Mine was the one with the paintbrush! He was in range, but I just love that rush right before you pull the trigger, so I waited on the shot. Another advantage of setting up between a roosted bird & a field like this is the birds are a little less cautious. I believe the birds aren't expecting an 'encounter' until they reach the fields & they mill through more concerned with his route instead of his destination. After about 4 minutes of intense anticipation, the other 2 birds sacrificially stepped in opposite directions, leaving my tom hung out to dry as the in-betweener. I took him. He was a beautiful bird: 20 pounds, 11/16' spurs, & a thick 8&1/2', I mean it was a paintbrush! He wasn't my biggest tom, but he was one of my most satisfying. I used a sound tactic from knowledge acquired by a wealth of experiences & lessons learned. I set up in-between the roost & the field & I bagged the in-betweener.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:47 AM

Default RE: Story of My First Bird This Year... The In-Betweener

I use this tactic all the time! works great! Great job and congrats!
Old 04-01-2004, 11:56 AM

Realy cool story!
Old 04-01-2004, 02:25 PM

Great story, congrats on the bird!
Old 04-01-2004, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome story, thanks for sharing.

Got any pictures? You can email them to me and I'll host them for you if you don't know how.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:52 PM
Typical Buck

..great story,of a true hunt...its worked for me also..thanks..
Old 04-01-2004, 08:17 PM

Congrats on a great hunt!!!
Old 04-02-2004, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats
Old 04-02-2004, 11:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrat's on the bird and the great story I have 3 week's to go before the opener here . I hope to have as good a luck as you did .

nubo
Old 04-03-2004, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great hunt,Congrats

Quick Reply: Story of My First Bird This Year... The In-Betweener

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.