Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Remington Hevi-Shot Question

Old 03-25-2004, 02:36 PM
Spike

Default Remington Hevi-Shot Question

I have a chance to get deal on some Remington Hevi-Shot duck loads. What is the difference between them and the Remington Hevi-Shot turkey loads? Hevi-Shot is Hevi-Shot right??
Old 03-25-2004, 02:49 PM

Default RE: Remington Hevi-Shot Question

HeviShot is HeviShot, yes, but compare your loads--what amount of shot and what velocity are the (discounted) duck loads and how do they compare to the (presumably more expensive) turkey loads?
Old 03-26-2004, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

I asked the very same question of a Remington rep last fall. He said that the only difference is packaging, and that the duck loads are not loaded in #5 shot, but the turkey loads are.
I bought some hevi shot loads to try this season, but I don't really know why. I guess it was just another SENIOR MOMENT.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:49 AM

The duck loads are 3" 1 3/8 oz. The turkey loads are 1 1/2 to 1 5/8. Same shell just more shot. They should be fine for turkey hunting
Old 03-26-2004, 09:11 AM
Spike

There is a difference in shot size and weight and because of that speed is a lot faster. The discounted price comparied to the cost of the turkey loads I think I'll try them as see how they work. Thanks everyone!
Old 03-26-2004, 01:13 PM

I hunt a #5 shot in the heavey load @ 50 yards my pattern is the size of a basketball and puts twenty in the kill zone !!! Not that i have ever taken a 50 yard shot but it is nice to know i have it !!! The gun i use is bennelli nova with comp-n- choke turkey tube!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-26-2004, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

Interesting. I am looking at the box of Remington Hevi-shot waterfowl loads that I bought-- 3", 1 1/2 oz. #6 shot, 1300 velocity.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:07 AM

Guys

My brother gave me a old $50 MEC reloader for Bday last year and that thing has saved me a fortune on Hevishot. I reloaded 10 3" 1 5/8 oz turkey loads tonite cost me $8.00. That's $12 cheaper than Walmart. The real savings happens during duck season. !
Old 03-28-2004, 07:03 PM

Heavy shot is brutally lethal. 2 of the birds i've killed this year had feathers blown out 6 ft from the bird (35 and 40 paces), and the other i missed 1st shot (he moved when i went to pull the trigger, but he went down hard the 2nd shot from the air. It patterns extremely tight, so missing a bird is definately a possibility. I'm sold, the extra $ is $ well spent. I took a pic of the bird's breast i killed today and will post it later, maybe 25 pellets in a slightly larger than softball sized pattern. When using this shot, i highly suggest a good sight system

i shoot the 3.5" 1 7/8 oz load
Old 03-29-2004, 06:23 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: keyshunter

Interesting. I am looking at the box of Remington Hevi-shot waterfowl loads that I bought-- 3", 1 1/2 oz. #6 shot, 1300 velocity.
I don’t have the box with me but they are 20 gauge 1 oz. of #4 shot at 1400 fps. I tried them out this weekend and couldn’t get a very tight pattern at 30 yards no matter what choke I tried. This fall they’ll be the most expensive squirrel loads I’ve every shot.

Quick Reply: Remington Hevi-Shot Question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.