Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

need help with a shotgun

Old 03-21-2004, 09:05 PM

Default need help with a shotgun

What is a good shotgun for under 500 dollars. I know that i dont want a remingto becasue i dont like the 870 express and all that crap, but i was thinking along the lines as a Benelli nova, Stoger 2000, Mosseberg, etc... What is going to be the best one for the money, and will last me a long time, adn kill alot of turkey
Old 03-21-2004, 10:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: need help with a shotgun

I have the Mossberg 835 and like it a lot. I've shot the Nova and don't particularly care for it. I don't like the one piece receiver and stock or the feel of the gun. Can't say on the Stoeger. There is another that you may be overlooking and that's the Charles Daly. I posted a question on here for a friend and found out some interresting things about them...such as a lifetime warranty on all their guns. My advice to you would be to look around the gun shops and handle all of the guns you've listed. Ask some gunsmith's about the reliability of the guns listed. Good luck in your decision, but by all means get the one that fits YOU the best.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:02 AM

Lots of choices out there. I've heard nothing but good on the stoeger 2000. Made by benelli for stoeger. Avoid the Charles Daley auto loaders. They have a lifetime warrently but you'll need it(and often). Their pumps and doubles are good guns though.

As far as pumps go you'll have lots of choices in that price range. I suggest trying them out and see which one fits you best. Really it's spitting hairs as too which one is better. Can't go wrong with remington, winchester, browning, benelli...
Old 03-22-2004, 09:36 PM

I like my 835................................a lot!
Old 03-23-2004, 07:31 PM

HELLO SMOOTHSTEVE, I HAVE A 835 MOSSBERG AND I LOVE IT. NO PROBLEMS AT ALL
Old 03-24-2004, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ithaca Storm Turkeyslayer...get one for about $425-50. Rated one of the best turkey guns on the market. Fixed free-floating barrel.

Ithaca just also introduced a Deer/turkeyslayer combo---storm series gun with detachable barrel---the combo comes with both a 24 inch ported turkey barrel (with extended turkey choke) and a fully rifled 24 inch slug barrel. Can be had for ~$500 without red dot scope, or ~$600 with a Tru-glo red dot scope.

Hard to beat an Ithaca...
Old 03-25-2004, 08:26 AM

I bought a wally world A390 last year for around $500. In my opinion the best automatic shotgun I have owned! I sent it off and had it dipped in MO new BU; the gun is is used for doves, ducks, turkeys. It has never let me down even in below freezing temperatures in the duckblind. I shoot a briley's hevi-shot turkey choke in it with my own reloaded HS turkey loads. I initiated it on 2 toms last season and it just fricking blasted those birds. I shot one at 50 yards and he never moved!
Old 03-25-2004, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

i just bought a charles daly maxi-mag at wal-mart for $209, and it is awesome... just took it to the range yesterday and it shoots great. just a thought...
Old 03-25-2004, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Win. 1300. Love it!!!!!
Old 03-25-2004, 05:21 PM

What model of the Win 1300 do you have

Quick Reply: need help with a shotgun

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.