Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

please tell me...

Old 03-21-2004, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default please tell me...

please help me out, a friend of mine wanted me to ask ya'll something and to take a poll on the answers, so be honest.....

here's the scenerio:

you see a bird while driving, you jump out, you shoot it two times, because you cant hit it the first time , lol, you go get it throw it in the truck, you pull up to your buddy down the road, 100 yards away , they had just gotten out of the woods and was walking back to thier truck, anyway, you go get the bird, but the bird is still alive, now you arent going to mount this bird, it's meat and it's suffering, it's lil eyes are blinking, begging you to end the suffering as quickly as possible, youre strangling the bird , trying to break it's neck ,but its not working, do you?

1. keep strangling, even though you know it's taking longer than it should

2. go to the truck and look for your knife, so you can use that

3. go to the truck and grab your gun

4 do you have your buddy shoot it/or use thier gun yourself to do it

thank you so much.... i'd pick #4 ,i personally would grab the nearest gun
Old 03-21-2004, 06:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: please tell me...

You asked for honesty, so here goes. Why are you road hunting? I hope that is just a scenerio that was written to try and lead up to a question of what to do with a bird that may be suffering. With that being said, I'd just take out the trusty old pocket knife and finish the job. I would be sure to take the head all the way off to severe the spine so that there would be less suffering.

Personally, I doen't think road hunters[:'(] have enough ethics to be bothered by an animal's suffering anyway.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ma.I'm not to crazy about the road huntin part either.My answer is none of the above I'd hold it by the neck lettin the weight of the bird hang down and spin my wrist real quick breakin the birds neck.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:45 PM

Me too... Don't care for the Road huntin' part, but I'd end it's suffering by any quick means possible
Old 03-21-2004, 07:51 PM

step on its head and twist the body--- whats up with the road hunting??? that aint hunting at all... sit in the woods and shoot it then well talk. Besides if your patterning isnt good enough to end it with one shot, then its time to visit the range again....
Old 03-22-2004, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

i wasnt road hunting , no way....i was asking because my buddy was coming to pick me up to take me to my truck because i had wondered far away from it, lol...on the way there , he spotted a bird, got out and shot it, missing the first time, he brought it to the truck and when he pulled up to show me, the bird was alive..he was bending it's neck trying to break it, wasnt working, and the bird was suffering and his knife and gun were in the truck, i told him to let me shoot it because i standing right there but he refused, didnt want me to take his moment away, he could of shot it with my gun, i didnt care , i just saw that the bird wasnt dying in his hands and he asked for me to ask my computer buddies(he doesnt agree with talking to a stranger on the pc, it's wierd), so i did what he asked and the 4 choices i gave are the ones he came up with.....
Old 03-22-2004, 06:48 AM
Fork Horn

i woud have tried to break the neck too, unless i had had my knife handy. as far as the road hunting goes, that was just a moment of oportunity, and i don't know anyone that would have passed up that chance, why would you? nice bird by the way huntnma
Old 03-22-2004, 07:45 AM

don't like the idea of road hunting ,, but to end the suffering of an animal? the easiest and quickest way, if thats by useing someones gun, or leting them shot it? so be it
Old 03-22-2004, 07:50 AM

I'd shoot it, of the four choices, but a fifth is to step on its head on a flat rock/log/very hard piece of ground and crush its skull, which is what I would do/have done before. (But watch out for the flopping and kicking spurs.)
Old 03-22-2004, 08:08 AM

I would have shown it a picture of my ex motherinlaw. The poor bird would have died of fright.
Honestly though, I would have wrung its neck. Tell your friend congrats on a nice bird.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.