Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

please tell me...

Old 03-22-2004, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: please tell me...

Huntnma,

Thanks on the help with my pic of my turkey, hope it works.

As for your question. This is not intended as a put down, but I would not have killed it that way, would only kill it while hunting in the woods. I would have also made sure it was dead before I picked it up. But, of your choices, I would go with #4 also but put it on the ground, or better yet, I would knock it in the head.

dog1
Old 03-22-2004, 10:28 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Well I will probably tick off a few here!

I really don't want to start a war and yes ban me if you must but it is the Hunting Code this person broke and it is a matter of ethics all the way around.

People like him give us a very black eye!

And if it was even legal from where he took the shot - I don't care.

1. Shooting a bird from the road is not legal in most areas I hunt. Yes I have had birds I had pinned against a road shot by 'Road Hunters" and sorry - that what he is! He is cheating the rest of us!

2. He is a Killer and not a "Hunter " in my eyes.

3. His refusal for you to help him dispatch this bird in my eyes says it all.

He be gone from hunting with me! Forever!

In fact if it was illegal I might even turn him in to the DNR! Even if it was my brother! Daddy taught us better than that!

I won't even vote! Would like to ring the hunters neck tho!

JW
Old 03-22-2004, 11:11 AM
Spike

I have to agree with JW!. What ever happen to ethics? I “used” to hunt with someone with that kind of mentality but no more. We’re still friends but as far a hunting together we were too far apart about what is ethically right when hunting. I don’t hunt with the people that judge the success of their hunts by the number of kills. And as far as the bird goes if the person would have taken a shot that meant a sure quick kill you would be have to ask the question. I’ve never had that problem but then again I know what my gun will do and don’t take marginal shots.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

i appreciated the honesty...i looked it up and he was legal , so it is a question of ethics and i agree with it being a moment of oppurtunity and i did congratulate him because i have always been taught if it legal , it's ethical,dont always agree with that though, i have to question his motives and the fact that he made the bird suffer is just plain wrong....just last week , he ran over a snake on accident, i told him to cut it's head off with the machete(i dont know how to spell it) he wouldnt , he just kept trying squash it..that didnt work either, so finally after a couple of minutes he took the machete from me....i think with him it's an ego thing , i just dont know...it's sad...
Old 03-22-2004, 06:56 PM

Concerning the ethics issue.

I feel that it is our duty as ethical hunters, to do our best to educate those who are unethical. I know that it is hard to change the veiws of other people. But I think it is possible. I am working on someone I know myself. I could write a book about my feelings on ethics. But to sum it all up, I hope that if I can't positivly influence this person, I can atleast help to influence this persons children.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:38 PM

The whole suffering thing just gets me...

Let's get real here fellas, we are talking about an animal that we eat.

Stop thinking about if the turkey is suffering, just kill it the quickest way you can.

The sooner it is dead, the sooner it is on your dinner plate.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:24 PM

I would break it's neck.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MSgobblergetter

The whole suffering thing just gets me...

Let's get real here fellas, we are talking about an animal that we eat.

Stop thinking about if the turkey is suffering, just kill it the quickest way you can.

The sooner it is dead, the sooner it is on your dinner plate.
AMEN..... my point exactly, that is why i freaked.....