Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

this weekend

Old 03-21-2004, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default this weekend

went out to seminole this a.m., had some yelping real early, turned out to be a box call he wouldnt shut up, so when fl called and told me about her bird, i left seminole and headed for toso., britches falling down , stubborn cows blocking the gate, but i didnt care, i got there i went to go after the big monster bird i have been seeing but the private land owner was hunting, so i headed east, sat down, cut 4 lil palmetto's and i called,cluck and a soft yelp, balallalalalalala...i was using my maple striker and my kaiser call....(i lost one of my purple heart strikers and my favorite looking one, zebrawood ......)i start shaking... here he comes, i see him coming in from around the palmetto island and when i thought he was close enough, i shot, then his buddy flew off , i didnt know he was with his buddy or i would of waited for him.....but he's an adult bird , so all is still good in gobbler land i went to pick him up and he started flopping, so i shot him again....his eyes were closed, probably nerves but i wasnt risking him suffering...not the bird i thought he was , wieght and beard wise, but both spurs were a lil over an inch, when i saw these 2 birds while scouting , they looked bigger , but that is ok...i know it was one of the 2 we've been seeing there.....God blessed us today for sure...i'd like to get another one tommorrow and try to get the hubby one, i'd call fo rhim, i think it's time, he's never gotten one....dinner was great , had the heart and gizzard of todays bird and the meat from my buddies bird last season...

i remeasured everything again , they dont know how to measure, lol.....the bird's stats are...14.5 lbs, 1 1/8 spur, and 1 3/16 th inch spur...the beard is 6 5/8.... a lil bigger but no much ,lol...but i am thrilled......today's hunt was nice....stalked 2 gobblers, set down to take a shot at getting one in range and a truck drives by, scared them into the woods, they never came to my call...guess they know my calling ,lol....it was a power crystal, should of used that kaiser call, actually i had it, but it got wet from the grass(dew), and then i called a hunter in, saw him after the hunt and he said all he had seen was a hen, lol..yeah right, he didnt see it or he would of known it was me, lol...i stopped talking to him (yelping/cutting) and he walked a circle around me trying to find me....he never even knew i was there , but i saw him...i tried whistling but he never heard me, so i thought it be best to sit still til i knew he was out of range , then i left....awesome 2 days... [8D]
Old 03-21-2004, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: this weekend

Ma,Congrats on a great bird and some great huntin.I'm proud of ya girl By the way.I'm still waitin on the pics of the gobbler chasin ya around the truck
Old 03-21-2004, 05:51 PM
Typical Buck

Good to go huntnma. Congrats on getting your bird. Now get the old man in gear, but take it easy on him.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:08 PM
VP

Way to go huntnma!
Nice Gobbler!

I'm doing the Cabbage Patch for ya right now![8D]

TEAM ONE IS ON THE BOARD!!!
Old 03-21-2004, 08:15 PM

Way to go!! Congrats!!
Old 03-22-2004, 12:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congratulations on a great hunt!
Old 03-22-2004, 12:47 PM

Congratulations on the hunt but shame on you for your silence when the hunter was stalking you. Hopefully, he didn't come within shotgun range.

I know that it is hard to know what you are to do when someone comes to your territory, but what you should have done was speak in a loud voice that you were another hunter in the area, making sure he heard/acknowledged you before standing up. Some inexperienced hunter might draw down on the sound of a turkey (or what he thinks sounds like a turkey). Some might draw down on the sight of a turkey (or what he thinks might look like a turkey). Speaking loudly, saying something like--"Hey!! Hey!! There's a hunter over here!!" before you stand up makes sure the hunter doesn't shoot you. Obviously, your whistling was insufficient. I'm glad you're safe. Glad you had success on the Osecola.

Don't want to rain on your parade, but I do feel everyone has to keep safety in mind 125% of the time, hence my big mouth. Sorry. . .

Anyway, congrats!!!
Old 03-22-2004, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

honestly i just got done replying somewhere else about this and youre right 125%, i should of..i said hey, but not as loudly as i could and yes shame on me, but i did what my gut told me to do, i had no deek out and he was out of range and i could see him making his circle around me for looking for the missing hen, then he went north and i got up and walked out.....but i will handle it properly next time, because there will be a next time....always is.... you can rain on it anytime ....if youre right AND YOU ARE
Old 03-22-2004, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

H-Ma,
Nice story. Reading about your hunt and visinting this site is making me as antsy as a hyper kid in a candy store. I can't wait until Wed in the am, when my turkey adventures begin. Good luck on the rest of your season.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:07 PM

Congrats
US Hunting Forums is loading to slow so my congrats may not have made it there