Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

South Carolina Hunt Report

Old 03-20-2004, 07:01 PM

Default South Carolina Hunt Report

After hearing about 11 gobblers sound off the first morning for over an hour, only to here hens take them off in different directions I found myself sitting in a 18 year old pine plantation. The ice storm from this winter had it in pretty bad shape. Around 3 p.m. I saw 2 longbeards with 6 hens in a gas line about 300 yards away. I tried calling them in for about an hour but they seemed content to feed on the gas line and they were slowly working toward a hardwood bottom to roost. My hunting partner and I talked it over and decided to try to belly crawl to the gas line and intercept them. We began what would be a 250 yard belly crawl through a pine plantation that looked like someone had been testing military shells. When we got to about 70 yards of the gas line the flock had beaten us to our spot. We were pinned down for another 45 minutes as they seemed to instinctively know we were there and couldn't move and decided to concentrate on scratching in the gas line at that very point. Finally they moved down a bit further behind a thick section of briars. This gave me a window to move up to the edge of the gas line and one of the strutters was lagging a bit behind giving me a nice shot on him. I took him at 43 yards. (18.5 lbs, 9 1/2 inch beard left spur 1 inch right spur 1 1/16 inch)

The next morning we only heard a single gobbler and a few jakes and rising temperatures and birds unwilling to come to the calls had us on a chufa patch the next afternoon. After sitting in the sun for 2 1/2 hours 3 hens finally came into the field and fed at about 40 yards for around an hour, then 6 jakes came trotting in and spent the next 2 hours within 20 to 30 yards of us. We didn't use a decoy and had not made a single call. To say the least my back hurt, to say the most I felt like someone was jabbing a knife into me. It was good entertainment, but no longbeard ever emerged and the birds eventually eased out to roost.

The final morning we set up on a gobbler early, but soon another bird was gobbling back to our right and moving toward a chufa patch where turkeys had been seen earlier this week. We decided to move toward him. We were unable to beat him to a crossroad and though he gobbled at all of our calling he was moving away with what we suspected was other hens. We dropped back and made a large semi circle trying to get in position of the point we thought the birds might ease into some pines during the middle portion of the day. It was 7:30 a.m. when we sat down I could see the longbeard through the mature pine forest about 400 yards away strutting in the edge of the chufa. After 30 minutes we decided to make one calling sequence. We spent about 5 minutes calling aggressively like two hens dueling back and forth. The plan was to shut up and wait the birds out. I actually had layed down completely at the base of my tree expecting the birds to spend a few hours in the chufa until the temperature rose. I was using my seat cushion as a head rest. (A favorite afternoon hunting position of mine, killed a few birds in this posture.)

About 10 minutes passed and straight out in front of me about 75 yards he gobbled. I knew I couldn't move. The next thing I see is a first year hen running directly at me. When she finally slowed down she was at about 4 yards from running on my feet. I thought the gig would be up, but luckily she never putted. She just quickly headed over to my right the gobblers left. In a matter of seconds the gobblers head appeared and he was moving at a slight angle away from me heading to my left his right following the hen. I was so low to the ground he never picked up my movement as I eased the gun over on him and took him. (15.7 lbs, 9 1/4 inch beard 1 inch left spur 1 1/16 inch right spur)

Considering the birds didn't even seem to be in breeding mode it was a great hunt. They gobbled good in the tree and the bird this morning gobbled good for about 45 minutes on the ground. In a week or so it should start getting better in the Low Country.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:24 PM

Default RE: South Carolina Hunt Report

Congrats on the two birds! Sounds like you had a great couple of days!!
Old 03-20-2004, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats ,On the birds.Sounds like ya had a great time.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:56 AM
VP

Congrats on the Two Birds Ryan,
Old 03-21-2004, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Ryan sounds like you had a great time!!Nice birds too!!
Old 03-21-2004, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the TWO birds RT. I will be happy to just get one this spring. Unfortunatly for me I'm limited to heavily pressured public land and the gobblers don't come that easy.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:45 PM

Yea, I know what you mean Mr. Longbeard. Don't let the 2 birds fool you though. I have been hunt'n SC for a while without success. Things just shaped up for me this trip. The old sun on a dog's butt theory. I would however put South Carolina birds (and Alabama birds) as the toughest in the country private or public. I learned to hunt on public land, and have used it off an on for the last several years even when I had private places to hunt. Heck, I only really have public land to hunt in North Carolina. But there is something different about those birds of the flatlands that have been hunted since before time. Can't move on them! They won't come anywhere for any real reason. Soft talk is the only talk, etc... I love'em! I have hunted Easterns in 10 states, and on public land in 6 of them and I would put the the flat land swamp birds in South Carolina and Alabama against them all. Of course, they are all tough when they want to be.

Good luck this season! I fear I may have used mine up this week.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:26 PM

Congrats on both off your gobblers Ryan! Sounds like your season is going pretty well.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:26 AM

Thanks for the hunt report.

It'll help tide me over till I get to go...

Hal
Old 03-23-2004, 06:59 AM

Hal,

I am glad I could help. I enjoy the same experience when the New York boys are still hunt'n in late May.

Quick Reply: South Carolina Hunt Report

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.