Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

pump or automatic

Old 03-18-2004, 07:22 PM

Default RE: pump or automatic

Tell me more about the single shot above, Powduck. Looks like it would be light to carry and if 2nd shots are rare why not a single shot.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

..Since there is a limit of one turkey aday,here in west virginia i use a pump gun
if you were aloud two a day,i would use the auto..[:-]
Old 03-18-2004, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

For turkey hunting a pump will do you fine. If you need the fast follow up shots from a semi-auto, what you really need is to aim better. KISS..Keep It Simple Stupid...is probably why single shots have their devotees.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

PUMP...... I can't justify the $$ difference for an auto. Both work fine and this is my only reason for making a choice for a pump. If they cost the same, I'd probably get the auto just to keep from having to pump the action and the forearm is tighter.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

I use an auto as that is what I've used for years now in all my other bird hunting. An auto will help tame some of the recoil of these bigger magnum shells.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Really this answer also depends on your hunting style. If you're a set-up and hold-tight kinda hunter, the semi is perfect.

However, if you like to cut-n-run and cover ground by the acre instead of the yard, then definitely opt for a pump or a single-shot.

Those semi's can get heavy...really fast...when you cover over 100 acres a day...
Old 03-20-2004, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont think there is really a whole lot of difference. I have a pump because it is faster for follow up shots and also has less recoil.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:36 PM

I agree with Strut, a semi-auto is nice, but if you cover a lot of country then a short pumper is probably better. BUT, as a word of warning, a pump gun will kick as hard as an elephant rifle if you shoot 3.5 inch shells. I only shoot 3 inchers in my 870. Call me a wimp if you want to, but my 6'1" 245lb butt doesn't like getting hammered that hard. I do shoot the long shells in my 1187 Super Mag, and they do kick, but I can stand it a lot better with that gas operation to soften the recoil. If you want a semi-auto but the cost seems too high you might consider going with a plain wood stock to save a few dollars. You can always cover it with some HS Strut No-Mar camo tape if you want it covered, and that only costs about 4 bucks per roll.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:43 AM

turkeyhunter_15 You said "The Gas Loaded, Gas Can Freeze".

Well, my Benelli Super Black Eagle don't need no gas to operate!!!
Old 03-26-2004, 09:21 PM

What snowdog left out was the price. The SBE is definitely one of the best autoloaders ever made, and it dang well should be since they cost 1200 bucks even on sale. I hunt deer with several guys who use them, and the gun doesn't make them kill any more deer. What it comes down to is the skill of the person using the gun. With all that being said, if I ever hit the lottery I will probably buy 3. One for me, one for dad, and one for my boy when he gets old enough.