Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Foiled on the first day.

Old 03-15-2004, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default Foiled on the first day.

Well, we kicked off the season this morning here in Alabama. Me and bamabuck27 went out and had a couple gobble at the first hoot I made. We thought oh yeah, this is going to be good. We got set up and did some light calling. There were 3 gobblers to our backs and a field to our front where they were "supposed" to fly down to. Well, after flydown time, there was never another gobble all morning. After setting for about an hour and a half, our behinds getting numb, we decided to move and try to figure out where they'd went. Well, this turned out to be our mistake. It would have worked great if only one of us had of went to the other location and started calling. After moving down a hill to another opening, and trying some locating yelps we decided to go to another area all together. When we turned to go back to the club road, a nice gobbler took off about 35yds from us. We both looked at each other and shook our heads and laughed at our impatience and decided to chalk it up to experience. Anyway, it was fun and it sure was good to here those birds gobbling on opening morning no less.

After all, if you were successful every time you went, it wouldn't be as addicting.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:20 PM

Default RE: Foiled on the first day.

Yep, made me feel good about this season allready hearing and seeing birds. It's going to happen I know it. Everything is going to fall into place and we are going to have a bird on the table (hopefully my first).
Old 03-16-2004, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

...Sound,s like fun..(chalk one up for the turkey) just kidding sounds exciting..
Old 03-16-2004, 07:29 AM

Sounds like ya'll are at least in the right place. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that likes to educate turkeys. PowDuck and I have been in the same situation so many times that it isn't even funny any more. You would think that we would learn to be more patient but I guess not. I once heard that when you think you've waited on a gobbler long enough then you should wait another 45 minutes. That time is pure torture. Good luck on getting on them again.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:58 AM

i'm jealous, my season here in illinois doesnt begin til may and this morning its snowing.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:02 AM
Typical Buck

Gobbling Buck,

If what happened to you hasn't happened to everybody that turkey hunts, they're not turkey hunting. Better luck next time. Our season opens next Sat., Mar 20th.

dog1
Old 03-16-2004, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

this'll be my first turkey season ever, and this makes me look forward to it even more... nothings better than gettin' "outsmarted" by a bird! that's why i think i will like it so much!!!
Old 03-16-2004, 09:34 AM

I'm jealous, too. I won't get out for 26 more days!!! (But who's counting??)
Old 03-16-2004, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like heck uva good time. As long as you learnt something, it wasn't a total bust.
I spooked a gobbler on my first turkey hunt. The image of that sucker flying over a fence and running off into a cow pasture haunted me until the following spring. Keep at it, and think about it this way....earn the bird and it'll be more satisfying of a memory.

One last thing....War Eagle!!!
Old 03-16-2004, 05:46 PM
VP

Thats why I love this so much, You never know what to expect!

You guys sound like your in the mix with them Alabama Gobbs so go get em!
Good luck to yall!

Quick Reply: Foiled on the first day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.