Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Is the Benelli Nova the best shotgun for under 500 dollars

Old 03-14-2004, 08:01 PM

Default Is the Benelli Nova the best shotgun for under 500 dollars

Is the Benelli Nova the best shotgun for under 500 dollars. i was just wondering, bevause i am out looking to purchase my first shotgun, and i am wanting suggestions on what i should buy.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:17 PM

Default RE: Is the Benelli Nova the best shotgun for under 500 dollars

hey smooth, my wife bought me a nova 3 years ago and i have never had any problems . i should also add that i hunt crows heavily,average of 500 to 600 shots a season using high brass shells and have never had a single malfunction.
my advise would be to go with whatever seems to naturaly fall into your plane of sight when you shoulder the gun.the best gun on the market is junk if it doesnt fit.so go with what is comfortable,that said the nova is a great gun
Old 03-15-2004, 06:05 AM

Smooth, I would have to recommend the Stoeger Model 2000 Semi-Auto. I purchased one last year, haven't had a minutes trouble. Benelli imports this gun for Stoeger. In other words, it has all the features of a Benelli Super 90 W/ the Inertia Recoil Design, for a cheaper price. You can get it in Black, Wood, or HD Timber Camo, 24" 26" and 28" barrels. It also comes with 5 chokes and sling swivel studs. All warranty and service is handled through Benelli USA.
This gun cycles the same speed as all the Benelli's. Very fast if needed. It practically is a Benelli. Benelli designed it, and Stoeger Manufactures it. Retailers who carry Benelli should also be able to get the Stoeger if they don't already carry them. I purchased mine from www.gunbroker.com for $400.

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/index.tpl
Old 03-15-2004, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

While I don't own a Nova, I've handled a few of them in a sporting good's store and don't like the noise from the forarm section of the gun. Rattles big time!! Personally, I'd pick the Winchester 1300 over that gun. The reciever is drilled and tapped for scope sights, which is a huge plus, and it has one of the quietest forams out there for a pump gun.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:23 AM

Amen on Maytom's post....AND you can save about $250-$300, which can go to finely tune it(good aftermarket choke, scope or tru-glo sights, etc) and you'll have a fine tuned limbernecking machine.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:23 PM

I agree w/ mayton. You don't need a 500 dollar shotgun. I have a rem. 870 super mag and it fits all of my needs. plus you'll save more money for allot of goodies. but also as someone mentioned before make sure the gun fits you.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:23 PM

Forearm rattles way to much for my liking. Just the overall feeling of the gun to me doesn't seem quite right.

I have just a plain jane 870 Express. Have had it for almost ten years now. I put about 2000 rounds a year through it and have killed everything from deer, ducks, rabbits, turkeys, doves, you name it with that gun.

I have had only one problem with it ever, and that is its so reliable I cannot justify buying anything else. That relieves me of the pleasure of buying new toys every so often.

Andy
Old 03-15-2004, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

there about 300
and the rattling you can just tighten it and its also not that big of a deal
Old 03-16-2004, 07:56 AM

I had the Nova about 2 years ago and i bought another one the other day. I think they shoot great for turkey hunting with a Hastings .660 choke tube. My personal opinion would be that the rattling of the stock doesnt matter when turkey hunting because all the mosseburgs rattle and they ruled the turkey hunting market forever. So it cant be that bad. But if i was recommending a gun it would have to be a Remington 870. I have killed everything with my wingmaster including several turks. Its only 2 3/4 but it definatly get the job done with that 30in barrel. My favorite turkey gun would have to be the 870 supermag which i have now. I have had no prob bringing them down with it. I shoot a undertaker choke tube and never had a problem. It always works.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

the nova is great, but you dont have to spend 500 bucks to get a great pump... a mossberg 500 or a charles daly VR-MC or a remington 870 are all great pumps. for 500 you could almost get a great autoloader.... i have an 11-87 and i love it... i also have the charles daly and its a great little gun for $200 at wal-mart! you can beat the crap out of it and it keeps going... my buddies hunt with mossbergs and they are super tough, great shooting pumps as well... there's my two cents!

Quick Reply: Is the Benelli Nova the best shotgun for under 500 dollars

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.