Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Mouth calls

Old 02-29-2004, 11:23 AM

Default Mouth calls

Try as I might I just can't seem to master the reed calls. I am thinking of getting a Lohman Mouth Yelper instead. Does anyone have any experience with this call?
Old 02-29-2004, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Mouth calls

Smok Pole, last year I was in the same situation as you. I bought a Lohman Mouth Yelper because I couldn't use a diaphram call. I soon found out the Mouth Yelper wasn't any easier. However, I have practiced and practiced and now feel pretty comfortable with the diaphram. My advice, stick with the diaphram. It's really not that hard to learn if you put in a few minutes each day for about a month or so.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:45 AM

I was feeling the same as you about a year ago. I had practiced and practiced trying to make a sound like the yelp of a turkey and sounded more like a sick dog. I got so frustrated that I gave up and just used other types of calls. Then one day I decided to just try to learn the more quiet type calls (soft clucks and purrs) on a mouth call. My reasoning was, if I am trying to get the turkey to come to me when he is still out of sight, I can use a slate or box with a little more volume. Once he decides to come my way, I'll go to the mouth call and try to entice him with the soft clucks and purrs.

I concentrated on one type of call until I mastered it. The first was the cluck. I have a 45 minute commute to work, so that is when I practiced this call. It took some time, but I did finally get it. I then went to the purr, which was harder for me to master, but I did finally get it. I can now cluck and purr pretty well. I also found that after mastering these softer calls, I was able to yelp very easily. My wife tells me I sound like a turkey, but that might not be a compliment.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:12 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Smok Pole

Try as I might I just can't seem to master the reed calls. I am thinking of getting a Lohman Mouth Yelper instead. Does anyone have any experience with this call?

Smok Pole before you give up H.S. Strut makes a mouth call called a “Tone Trough” that is very easy use. The call has a sound chamber built into the top of the call that let you get the feel of how the call should be placed in your mouth. A buddy of mine tried the Lohman Mouth Yelper and it just didn't sound right. You'd be better off with some other kind of call like a slate, glass or box.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:27 AM

I cant use a mouth call due to a indented teeth on my upper pallet.
I use the lohman mouth yelper along with a slate call. I changed the double reed to a triple reed and it sounds pretty good now. Yelping is about the only thing you can do on this call though so you are pretty limited.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:34 AM

I had tried for years to get a sound out of the mouth calls to no avail. Not even with the tone trough call or whatever it is called. Turns out, I guess I have a narrow pallet. I picked up some of the Quaker Boy mini mag calls, greenish/yellow tape, and they work great for me. I had to pick up a second set of the same calls so I have them on hand.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:22 AM

Most people have a tendency to press it up against the roof of their mouth too hard for fear of it falling back and gaging on it. This is one of the main reasons why people get fustrated when learning to call. If you try and hold the middle/back portion of the mouth call with the middle/back of your tounge you are still abe to cluck and purr by "saying" the sounds you want.

benhuntin - you can also trim some mouth calls to fit the roof of your mouth. I like the Primon's calls my self.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:24 AM

http://www.primos.com/game_calls.php?cPath=29_24

Here is the web page. Sorry for the typo on above reply.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:03 PM

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies and encouragement. I think that I'll keep working at it.